Cream legbars

• 12 Replies

walker

Cream legbars
« on: December 12, 2011, 22:12 »
Hi everyone
I haven't posted for a while been really busy with work, allotment and other things anyway quick update our four chucks have now got four new friends which we bought early September.
Two speckled stars and two cream legbars,which leads me to a question for the experienced cream legbar keepers.We bought these thinking they were older than they are,they have been with us for twelve weeks one looks older than the other with waddles and comb but only small the other is just starting to get hers.I have trawled the Internet trying to find pictures of POL legbars but to no avail so I'm not sure what age these chucks are does anyone have pictures of theirs at 20 weeks.
Thanks mark.
One light Sussex , two bluebells, two white stars, two speckled stars , two cream legbars.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
Re: Cream legbars
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 23:16 »
Hi - the link  HERE shows photos of a Cream Legbar pullet from day one to full grown.   ;)

I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

walker

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 00:04 »
Thank you very much the link was a great help looking at the pictures we have purchased 12week old  cream legbars ,not really happy about that we were told they were POL but wouldn't change them for anything they are very cheeky and fearless chucks.
Mark.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 06:05 »
sadly some people call 12 weeks as point of lay.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:12 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 11:23 »
Hi Walker,

We had a similar issue earlier this year with CLB sold as 14 - 16 weeks. Posted this: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=80065.0;attach=18720;image a week after we bought Treetrunk (long story) and at the time was getting guesses of 10-12 weeks but looking at the link suggested below she could have been as young as 8 weeks when sold.

Why is this relevant? Well, she's now at least 32 weeks old and hasn't laid this year. The breeder did say that she didn't think we would get eggs till the spring but weather that was based on CLB tailing off over the Winter or the fact the birds were younger than stated is a moot point.

All of the birds bought from this breeder have been slow to mature, Treetrunk is only just growing her comb and I will be interested to see what develops after looking at the photos of "Moojee and Pita" and the shapes of their's.

We have had other issues  with the breeder apart from this so will not be going back there or recommending them to anyone sadly. I feel that as newbies we were taken advantage of.

Anyway, they're all beautiful birds so we're just getting on with enjoying them

Hope you enjoy yours

tstainesmoore

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 18:56 »
Cream legbars do take time to grow and can be classed as point of lay from 14 weeks onwards they can also be classed at point of lay at 4 years old, the growth of the bird depends on the strain. not breeders fault. if you were sold a 12 weeks bird and it was say 4 weeks then i would be unhappy but buying pol purebredds like clb is silly if expecting eggs becuase they wont lay until 25 weeks average and if they reached 25 weeks between august and december then they wont lay until mid january

walker

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 00:22 »
Hi Walker,

We had a similar issue earlier this year with CLB sold as 14 - 16 weeks. Posted this: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=80065.0;attach=18720;image a week after we bought Treetrunk (long story) and at the time was getting guesses of 10-12 weeks but looking at the link suggested below she could have been as young as 8 weeks when sold.

Why is this relevant? Well, she's now at least 32 weeks old and hasn't laid this year. The breeder did say that she didn't think we would get eggs till the spring but weather that was based on CLB tailing off over the Winter or the fact the birds were younger than stated is a moot point.

hi Ben_H
Looking at the picture of your legbar  ours were probably the same age give or take a week or so,as said we wouldn't change them as they are like all our chucks and I imagine the same as every forum members,  individual and full of personality

Cream legbars do take time to grow and can be classed as point of lay from 14 weeks onwards they can also be classed at point of lay at 4 years old, the growth of the bird depends on the strain. not breeders fault. if you were sold a 12 weeks bird and it was say 4 weeks then i would be unhappy but
buying pol purebredds like clb is silly if expecting eggs becuase they wont lay until 25 weeks average and if they reached 25 weeks between august and december then they wont lay until mid january

Hi tstainesmoore
We didn't buy cream legbars just to get eggs we bought them because we really liked the colouring on this breed and we like to have different breeds rather than just one or two.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to pick up the chucks personally my wife collected them ,but I was told they were 20 weeks POL by the breeder on the phone that's what  i was disappointed in,but you live and learn.
Thanks for the information on when they might lay my wife is desperate for them to lay as all the other chucks are laying if your prediction is right it will be a welcomed treat on my birthday :D
Regards,
mark  
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 00:46 by walker »

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 22:26 »
I bought a Legbar and was told she was 16 weeks, but was surprised how much smaller than the Dorking of the same age. But she's an absolutely beautiful bird and such a character. Looking forward to eggs in January hopefully  :D

Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 22:53 »
I hatched the first of my Cream Legbar pullets in the middle of May and they were already in lay by Sept so around 20 weeks.  They are proving to be quite good layers as well, and one of the hens eggs today was 55 grams so a good size

So they are not all slow maturing, late layers  :blink:

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 19:22 »
Shhh. Told tell my husband, both the Dorking and the Legbar are both 29 weeks (approx) and no eggs yet.

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 08:28 »
My cream legar is about 30 weeks and has laid an egg a day since Monday bless her. Noone was more suprised than me (except perhaps her!) as I was not expecting eggs until next month at the earliest.

The shortest day was yesterday so it should start to happen for those of you who are waiting for first eggs in the next few weeks. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Rubyroo

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 10:59 »
Hi guys.

Fab post here. I too bought a CLB and i soon began to query her age  :unsure: after looking at the photos of day old-POL i think i can pin a more accurate age to little Minty Melon (long story behind her name  :tongue2: )
Looking forward to her 1st egg, which i'm guesstimating to be Feb at earliest. Exciting stuff.
Such a fantastic breed & great character, and a real compliment to my mixed flock.

Anyway Christmas wishes to every one here, and hope 2012 is full of chirping chicks, yummy fresh eggs a plenty and healthy hens and mother hens alike  :)

Kay
A mixed flock of 15 chickens, 2 ducks, and 14 fertile eggs under broodies (fingers crossed).

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 17:41 »
And I've just been out and found our 1st blue egg, Hurrah! No idea whether it's the CLB or the Cotswold as they've both been in and out of the nest box over the last few days. Will have to keep and eye.

Merry Christmas to all!

xx
Cream Legbars

Started by Kym503 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 13:08
by Evansent
xx
Cream legbars in a large run?

Started by Honey65 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 03, 2016, 08:51
by Sassy
xx
Cream Legbars - General Queries

Started by wildfowler4 on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post December 15, 2010, 17:49
by CluckyChicken
xx
7/7 hatched 6 cream legbars 1cross aracauna

Started by newhen on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 19:01
by Hayley'sHens

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 40 queries.