wilting celeriac leaves

• 8 Replies

earthing83

• Experienced Member
wilting celeriac leaves
« on: June 05, 2010, 18:39 »
Can anyone give me some advice of the celeriac kind? I have been growing my celeriac in pots and planted them out today. When I went to get them before planting out some of them looked very sad, still green and lush looking but with dropping wilted leaves. They have been outside for a week or so and its very hot here today. Do you think I have over watered them or is it more likely to be the heat? I have planted them out any way!

DavidT

Re: wilting celeriac leaves
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 19:50 »
Actually it could be either OVER watering or UNDER watering. The symptoms for both are the same. Keep the soil/compost moist but not wet. :D

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 19:54 »
I'm in no way shape or form an expert so hopefully someone will come along with answers soon.

I'm finding celeriac a bit problematic too be honest its extremely slow I planted out 20 seedlings the other week I've lost half already and as I didnt get to the plot to water today I expect when I  go tomorrow I will have lost the rest in this heat they really dont like being dry

Sorry not much help
Missy

DavidT

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 19:59 »
Missy, how big were the seedlings when you planted out and  how did you start them off? Do you know what killed them?

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 20:29 »
Hi David

Probably not as big as they should have been too be fair - I was rushing before I went away hindsight is a wonderful thing I think it was just too dry for them.  I sowed them in a seed tray brought them on in a greenhouse I do have some left in the tray so hopefully when I get time I can use those to replace the ones I've lost - they just literally shriveled and died. 

These were my 2nd sowings my first I kept inside for too long and they didnt like the heat.  I'm on a very steep learning curve this year!

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 20:32 »
The 2 most important elements for plants in this type of weather are heat and moisture. If you can balance those two you will be fine. :D

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 23:47 »
i've found cellariac a bit sensative when 1st planted out.

the last 2yrs i've put a cut down lemonade bottle round them till estabished with great success!

maybe it keeps the wind off them. warms the soil, concentrates the water round the roots, not sure but it works :nowink:

Zippy

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 07:38 »
I have planted 6 around a deep sunken plantpot and water them from that so water goes to the roots. and also prepared the ground by trowelling in the compost from a spent growbag for moisture holding - seem to be thriving on this.

earthing83

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 17:27 »
...mmm went out to have a look at them this morning (after a very heavy rain storm yesterday) they have all dropped to the soil! I think I will try your suggestion Sutty and pop some covers over, give them a bit of special attention. Thanks too to all the rest of you for your advice. I do love my celeriac!

xx
Strawberry leaves wilting

Started by bennyjamboy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 19:53
by bennyjamboy
xx
Tomato leaves wilting

Started by upert on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 06, 2018, 05:14
by DHM
xx
wilting cucumber leaves

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 18:47
by Totty
xx
Cumcumber leaves wilting

Started by Top Cat on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 21:54
by fivespud364

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 38 queries.