WG's tipple

• 72 Replies

WG.

WG's tipple
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2007, 21:22 »
Finished off the Jura tonight.  It took a bit of a hiding when brother-in-law was home from Australia.  Despite my initial thoughts, I was rather getting used to it ...

coatesi

WG's tipple
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2007, 11:22 »
Sitting here reading the posts with a glass of Glenfiddich for a nightcap.
  I make my own spirits (legally) but would not try to make a single malt. My drink of choice is bourban or straight kentucky. The single barrel bourbans in the states are a similar aquired taste as single malt, with the smooth, oak taste. I go to Missouri,Ozark, every couple of years and that is where all the barrel wood (white oak) for the bourban barrels comes from.
They take their whiskey very serious in those parts. The barrels are used and then shipped to WG's part of the world to be used again.
   Small world and a brilliant piece of recycling that I can agree with.
  coatesi
A man that gives up a freedom for the sake of security deserves niether.
 Abraham Lincoln.

WG.

WG's tipple
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2007, 11:31 »
Quote from: "coatesi"
I'm only 7 miles away from the Glenfiddich distillery!  Not a bad drop - exceedingly well marketed - but not in my top ten.  The Glenfiddich Solera Reserve is worth a try if you ever see it.

Yes, the distilleries all tend to use several types of casks - new casks made for purpose, used sherry or port casks, and used bourbon casks.  The single malt is then 'married' using whisky from all three types of casks to give a consistent uniform product in the bottle.

Unlike wine, the clock stops when whisky is bottled.  So you will see 10, 12, 18, 24 etc year old malt whiskies.  Wine on the other hand is labelled with the year in which it was bottled.

WG.

WG's tipple
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2007, 23:31 »
The question was asked on Chivas Regal on another thread : http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=8493

Chivas Regal is marketed very succesfully - especially in North America - as a premium whisky.  What they don't tell you is that it is a premium blended whisky.  There is nothing wrong with it - in fact it is very nice - but in my opinion the majority of malt whiskies are better.

Here is an explanation :

single malt whisky : Produced from malted barley by a single distillery and must be aged in wood for a minimum of 6 years.  Malt distilleries, without exception, use small copper pot stills in a batch distillation process

pure malt whisky : Several single malts can be married (mixed) together to produce a pure malt.  Not commonplace but they are available.

grain whisky : Raw unmalted barley can be used to produce whisky in a continuous distillation process in Patent Stills.  Very little malted barley is used on account of its higher cost.  Grain whiskies are not, as far as I am aware, marketed separately

blended whisky : A mixture of one or more single malt whiskies with a large proportion of grain whisky.  The best of them are quite palatable (Grouse, Chivas Regal); the cheapest of them should only ever be used to take the sweetness away from lemonade or coke!  :wink:

gobs

WG's tipple
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2007, 23:50 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
I'm only 7 miles away from the Glenfiddich distillery!  Not a bad drop - exceedingly well marketed - but not in my top ten.  The Glenfiddich Solera Reserve is worth a try if you ever see it.

Yes, the distilleries all tend to use several types of casks - new casks made for purpose, used sherry or port casks, and used bourbon casks.  The single malt is then 'married' using whisky from all three types of casks to give a consistent uniform product in the bottle.

Unlike wine, the clock stops when whisky is bottled.  So you will see 10, 12, 18, 24 etc year old malt whiskies.  Wine on the other hand is labelled with the year in which it was bottled.
sky

Are you suggesting A) there is no 20 etc.year old wine
B)whiskey is never labelled any non-sense
C) whisky is superior to wine

I'm gonna have an argument with you, matie... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

WG.

WG's tipple
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2007, 00:01 »
Quote from: "gobs"

Are you suggesting A) there is no 20 etc.year old wine
B)whiskey is never labelled any non-sense
C) whisky is superior to wine
A) No.  Read the post.
B) Yes.  Read the post.
C) No.  How you can deduce that from reading my post is beyond me.

Trillium

WG's tipple
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2007, 23:37 »
Thanks for the answer, WG  XX  :wink:  :lol:

gobs

WG's tipple
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2007, 00:02 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"

Wine as it is marketed in not wine producing countries is nothing to do with wine, really.
Actually, so I'm informed that a bottle of wine is a kind of nes-wine, usually made by diluting a bit of jelly tablet.
Nothing that to do with wine in barrels, mate. :wink:  :wink:

WG.

Balvenie Doublewood
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2007, 22:15 »
Balvenie Doublewood 12YO tonight after a very nice houseguest bought us a bottle.  Bl**dy nectar.

If you like malt whisky and you've never tasted Doublewood, then do get a bottle.  Put it on your Christmas list.

Doublewood because it is aged 6 years in one type of oak cask and then 6 years in an oak cask which has previously been used for sherry.  The result is softer and smoother than a baby's bum.  A lovely drop.

muntjac

WG's tipple
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2007, 22:16 »
angels dribble :wink:
still alive /............

WG.

WG's tipple
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2007, 22:34 »
Do you still have my postal address Munty?  Thought you might be planning to have a case of Doublewood delivered to me as a Christmas surprise.  Don't panic - there are only 6 bottles in a case.

muntjac

WG's tipple
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2007, 22:43 »
i was gonna send u some that there vietnamese wisky mate  :lol:

WG.

WG's tipple
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2007, 22:48 »
OK that'll do thanks, I can always put cola in it for Mrs G  :wink:

Got rat-a*sed once on Thai Mekhong whiskey ... oooh ma heid !!!

muntjac

WG's tipple
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2007, 22:54 »
oh tha stuff they take from the logging nelefants  :lol:  :lol:

WG.

WG's tipple
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2007, 22:56 »
You could easily be correct  :?

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 39 queries.