Cut and come again lettuce

• 11 Replies

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
Cut and come again lettuce
« on: April 07, 2010, 23:04 »
I spread a few seeds per module and they are now about 2 inch tall. Whats the best route to take with these now. Can you leave them to grow larger in the module or do they need to be individually pricked into say pots or to the ground??
Many thanks John.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 23:11 by kingdhesiii »
Woooooooooooooo

Janeymiddlewife

Re: Cut and come again lettuce
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 23:17 »
I would move them before they get too crowded, if into pots make sure they get adequate water.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 23:19 »
Id pot them on to 6" pots and remove the weaker seedlings. I tried leaving some (valmaine) in modules last year and they never amounted to much.

Not sure what its like where you are but lettuce in the ground disappear over night here, so best left in pots. You should only need 3 - 4 to keep you in leaves unless you're a big salad eater.

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 23:57 »
Individually prick them to 6 inch pots? or a few to them ?. I thought the point of a mixed cut and come lettuce is that you could grow a variety of colours etc together in a small space. Maybe im wrong.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 00:09 by kingdhesiii »

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 00:36 »
Individually prick them to 6 inch pots? or a few to them ?. I thought the point of a mixed cut and come lettuce is that you could grow a variety of colours etc together in a small space. Maybe im wrong.

I've not grown a mixed packet before so can't say for sure - they probably are designed to be sown in situ over a small patch / raised bed and picked when young (does it give you any info on the packet? ) Back of my valmaine say thin to 12inches apart  :ohmy:

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 08:19 »
We sowed some mixed stuff last year after about 3 weeks give it half a cut with a pair of scissors, sow every 10 days for a month and you will get a great crop.  we done some in large pots and had great results.
Thanks
Kris

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:34 »
Apart from cos lettuce I only grow cut-and-come-again mixtures for salad leaves, and yes the idea is to sow them relatively close together, not bother thinning (unless you have been heavy-handed with the sowing) and harvest young leaves as soon as the plant has grown enough to recover from the attack.
Wide spacing is unnecessary as you are not trying to grow the plants to their normal mature size.

I find the more "lettucy" mixtures work better than the "spicy Oriental mix" type which alway seem to include rather brutish mustard-type plants which tend to dominate the other varieties and also run to seed rather rapidly.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 14:20 »
I would plant out your modules, not pot them on.

I only grow them in balcony-style-planters as we like to have them very close to the kitchen for sandwich making before heading off to work. I plant half the trough with a "salad lettuce leaves blend" and the other half with "salad leaves" (i.e. not Lettuce specific) which tends to be other sorts of leaves.
IMG_6141_SaladLeaves.jpg

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 16:52 »
I only ever sow direct into the ground, mine are just up.  I've always found them tough as old boots.  Never  enough space in my cold frame for them.  I would harden them off and then sow direct

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 01:09 »
I dont have that much space with only having half a plot so any lettuce will be grown in containers. I have 1 big patio type container about a metre long. I just cast a mix of seed all over it and now I have about 200 plants coming up lol. I guess I can just keep thinning as I see fit and use the thinings as part of a salad.

The other lettuce are in modules about 2 inch in height at the moment. I guess if im only growing in containers then these could all go ina  decent sized pot now. Id say I have about 12 lettuce in the modules at the moment.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 18:52 »
I have 1 big patio type container about a metre long. I just cast a mix of seed all over it and now I have about 200 plants coming up lol. I guess I can just keep thinning as I see fit and use the thinings as part of a salad.

If its a metre long I reckon you can start scissor-harvesting at one end, and by the time you get to the other end the first end should have recovered enough to be ready for cropping again :) Don't cut them right down to the deck, otherwise they probably won't regrow; I leave an inch or two behind from which it regrows.

sclarke624

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 23:21 »
I find the more "lettucy" mixtures work better than the "spicy Oriental mix" type which alway seem to include rather brutish mustard-type plants which tend to dominate the other varieties and also run to seed rather rapidly.
I would defo agree with that, I don't bother with the spicy ones anymore, for the exact same reasons.

Although not cut and come again the mini green iceberg T&M sell is a good all rounder as well approx tennis ball size as described, mine were slightly larger than that by the time I picked.

I don't do mixed anymor though I use gems as cut and come again as they are pretty much reliable, and best loved.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 23:26 by sclarke624 »
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
Lettuce little gem

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 20:08
by yummy
xx
Lettuce

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2006, 10:31
by noshed
xx
Lettuce

Started by Alistair1392 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post June 17, 2015, 16:21
by Blackpool rocket
xx
Lettuce

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2014, 21:18
by Beetroot Queen

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 36 queries.