Fruit fly larva?

• 5 Replies

FionaCourgette

Fruit fly larva?
« on: July 17, 2017, 14:31 »
Hello

A couple of years ago after harvesting and washing our blackberries from our allotment we notice teeny tiny white worms in the water.  These also appeared last year.  I've not harvested the blackberries yet this year but I have just harvested the blackcurrants and I have made blackcurrant vodka with them but I've spotted those little white worms floating around in the vodka! 

Does anyone else get this problem?  How can I get rid of them?  Are my crops ruined?  Help please!!

Thank you!

Fiona

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Fruit fly larva?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 20:51 »
Hi Fiona and welcome  :)

I would strain the vodka carefully and pretend you didn't see the worms  ;)

If you soak the blackberries in water for 30 minutes or so before using them, the worms should all come out of the fruit and be in the water.  I'm not sure what they are or if there is anything you can do to prevent them, but they always seem to be in blackberries.  I've never had them appear out of blackcurrants, so I'm not sure if the same trick works on them.

Pitufo

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:12 »
Hello Fiona,

You could also regard these little worms as a bit of supplementary protien. :D

Perhaps you could keep some of your berries, especially the ones that go soft, when you harvest them this year. Put them into two separate clean jars (blackberry and black current) and see what adults emerge. Keep a porous lid on the jars to let oxygen in oxygen. Fruit flies will develop in about two weeks after first crawling up the sides of the jar and forming little brown pupae. I've only done this in the lab with specially prepared food but I think in real life they like fruit that is a bit soft.

When you watch them develop you may find you get rather fond of them.  :D

ptarmigan

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 09:43 »
I put the berries in water first for a bit to soak them and most crawlies come out then. But I don't always remember to.   Honestly I don't think they do any harm really - I'm sure I've cooked a fair few in a crumble and am still here.  And if they are in neat alcohol they can't do much harm either.

FionaCourgette

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 15:04 »
Thanks everyone :)
I'll certainly strain the blackcurrant vodka - no way am I throwing that away as it is deeeelicious!

Not too sure about the idea of breeding them  :ohmy: ....but thanks for the input!

The blackberries are ripening fast so I'll just remember a good half hour soak - thanks a lot for all your help :)

Fiona

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 14:55 »
Time flies like an arrow

Fruit flies like a banana.

Sorry

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 40 queries.