Hardening off

• 3 Replies

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
Hardening off
« on: April 15, 2012, 15:03 »
In my greenhouse I have started the following from seed

Broad beans runner beans dwarf French beans peas brocoli sprouts parsnips lettuce & celery.

The greenhouse is unheated so cools down a lot at night but some seeds are coming through from what I seeded 8 days ago.

So will I have to harden these plants off before I transplant them outside to the raised beds. If so how do you properly harden off your plants.

Thanks my lovers.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hardening off
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 15:08 »
Hardening off is the process of putting seedlings outside during the day for a while, and bringing them back under cover at night - then leaving them outdoors overnight for a few more days, before planting them out.

As they've been in an unheated greenhouse you won't need to spend a long time at each stage - if they've been in heated conservatories then the acclimatisation process needs to be spread out over longer.

Broad beans, peas, broccoli, sprouts, parsnips, lettuce and (I think) celery can be hardened off over the next week or so (if it's going to be frosty tonight I might start a couple of days later!).

It's far too early to be putting runner and french beans outside at night - you need to wait until the last frost has passed to risk this.  If they get too cold then they will sulk big time.

In Yorkshire I wait until the start of June for beans to go out.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 15:13 »
Thanks for that. I won't be putting anything out for another month or 5 weeks as they have only just broken the surface, just getting the help I need in advance  :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 15:15 »
All except the specified beans can go out whenever you want as they are hardy  :)

xx
hardening off

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 21:51
by sunshineband
xx
Hardening Off

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 20:32
by peapod
xx
Hardening off...

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2014, 13:10
by Goosegirl
xx
Hardening off

Started by peanut97 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2007, 08:57
by newbiegrower

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 38 queries.