Council by-laws

• 10 Replies

PJM

Council by-laws
« on: August 09, 2007, 21:58 »
Does anyone know of any by-laws, or rules, regulations, on keeping chickens in house gardens? is it allowed or can the council say no to it?

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Council by-laws
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 22:00 »
If its a council owned house there may be bylaws but private may be different, I guess it depends on the area you live in?

muntjac

Council by-laws
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 22:02 »
they cant say no ,if you meet the conditions of cleanliness and housing .you are not allowed to keep cockerals , you ask in writing for permisssion  and go from there stating the obvios etc .if anybody in the area of the town has chickens in a council property then a precedent has been set so they cant say no unless they want to be awkward ,.but then you can appeal
still alive /............

PJM

Re: Council by-laws
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 22:19 »
Quote from: "PJM"
Does anyone know of any by-laws, or rules, regulations, on keeping chickens in house gardens? is it allowed or can the council say no to it?

Thanks for the info Guys, I have built my coop and run, with ease of cleaning of foremost importance. I own the house, as do all my neighbours, but they are all ex council. I have shown my neighbours what I have done, and all are very supportive, but just wondered what the laws were. My chicks are now 1 week old and growing, just hope there are not too many cockerals in the batch, would ideally like 4/5 hens no cockeralls as munty says, not a good idea in a city centre. Thanks again.

muntjac

Council by-laws
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 22:22 »
you dont need any council input at all if you own the property .just be aware of the vermin aspect and also noise from the hens ,,,,, yeh they make a lot of blooming noises as well. have fun and enjoy .if you read the articels at the top of poultry pages you can get loads of advice and info.not just mine iether :wink:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Council by-laws
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 00:02 »
i could be wrong, but on owned property there may be a clause on your deeds stating that the property may never be used to house poultry or pigs.

this used to be done as they were the only animals, (excluding pets such as dogs) that ate meat products.

most councils will still keep you to the pigs, but as chickens are not feed meat any more most will allow it with consenting neighbours. the local council still have a say even on privately owned property.

my home is only 10 years old so doesnt have this, but my neighbour whos house is 30 years older does.

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Council by-laws
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 23:05 »
that is true HV, but nobody checks do they, unless a complaint is lodged.  I have run lots of cockerels in my back garden (council estate)  but my neighbours are all ok with it - another guy down the way keeps cocks and hens too.  I move mine out (to market) when the crow gets too loud, though.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Council by-laws
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 00:39 »
my direct neighbours love the chickens and ducks, they also love the fresh eggs that i regularly leave on the doorstep.

but the busy body three doors up complained to our council about my extremely loud cockerals. lovely man from the council paid me a surprise visit. (a chicken keepers son himself). spoke to my two actual neighbours who both said they liked the chooks and he happilly informed he complainer that there is no cockerals in my garden, they are clean and not an issue but  they should be aware that their yippy dog could be cause for complaint in the future.

and off he trotted with half a dozen eggs and my chooks have been left alone since. so not all councils will tell you to remove them even if they do get a complaint

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Council by-laws
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 23:32 »
nice to hear there are still some decent people out there!  glad all went well.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Council by-laws
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 08:01 »
Quote from: "happyvalley"
my direct neighbours love the chickens and ducks, they also love the fresh eggs that i regularly leave on the doorstep.

but the busy body three doors up complained to our council about my extremely loud cockerals. lovely man from the council paid me a surprise visit. (a chicken keepers son himself). spoke to my two actual neighbours who both said they liked the chooks and he happilly informed he complainer that there is no cockerals in my garden, they are clean and not an issue but  they should be aware that their yippy dog could be cause for complaint in the future.

and off he trotted with half a dozen eggs and my chooks have been left alone since. so not all councils will tell you to remove them even if they do get a complaint

that is brilliant.. amazing how many people have owned chickens or are part of a family that have, etc

The yappy dog thing really winds me up and the mid-life crisis bloke 5 doors down in his in his brand new motorbike that he sits and revs up... calm down SG you are getting worked up before you go into work agian :)

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Council by-laws
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 09:10 »
that is so true SG.

i can remember collecting the eggs in my grannies garden when i was little.

i could have understood the complaint if it was a litle old lady who was worried. but my neighbour is only in her 40's and her teenagers vroom in and out of the close at all hours.

im a firm believer in cleaning up your own doorstep before looking at other peoples.

OMG i sound so old---scary  :shock:

xx
Chicken Laws

Started by bluelou on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 21:00
by josh5357
xx
By-Laws against Chickens??

Started by paullewis on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 19:34
by VM
xx
Local bye laws and legalities of keeping chickens at home

Started by Planner on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 00:41
by babe
xx
The council

Started by lynnie on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post October 08, 2011, 00:26
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 38 queries.