Spoon measures

• 5 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Spoon measures
« on: October 16, 2018, 21:07 »
When I was learning to cook, Mum's recipes always said 'a tablespoon of' whatever and the spoon was precisely that - a large serving table spoon. The new 'tablespoon' measures just about hold an old dessert spoonful of water, nowhere near as much as an old tablespoon.

So if I use my modern measuring spoons my mum's recipes don't work. Just as well that I still have some old cutlery including serving tablespoons. I wonder how many people have tried old recipes and found they haven't quite worked out properly, but had no idea why  ::)

chrissie B

Re: Spoon measures
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 20:55 »
I know what you mean every thing seems to be shrinking .
my problem is with cook books only give one measurement and you have to convert everything , why carnt they put gms , oz and cups would cover every thing
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 13:52 »
I know what you mean with spoon sizes MoS. I have some old spoons I use too. Some tea spoons are so flat they would no way hold 5ml
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 18:41 »
Being just a humble Growster, who doesn't really get near cooking duties, as Her Fragrancy The Growsterana is always in charge, and damned good at it, but could I (gulp) suggest a set of items like these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pcs-Set-Measuring-Spoons-Tea-Coffee-Measure-Cooking-Scoops-Stainless-Steel-UK/253193599082?epid=23021850766&hash=item3af383b86a:g:7kIAAOSwt5tZ1x3t:rk:2:pf:0

(Then you may have to worry about whether they really meant 5ml or whatever..;0)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 22:18 »
That’s what I use Growster. Seems to work. I know where the ladies are coming from though, recipes have changed a lot so old recipes don’t conform anymore. I have to admit that I have chucked my (few ) cookery books out and just use tinternet now. Mind you, I wouldn’t class myself as a proper cook as I don’t really like being in the kitchen. 😂

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 22:39 »
Growster, those are the modern spoon measures that make old family recipes go very wrong  :nowink:

The trouble started I believe with American recipes, which didn't weigh things, but used volume instead. They called the largest spoon you ate with a tablespoon, in the UK that size is called dessert spoon!
Wiki says
Victorian and Edwardian era tablespoons used in the UK are often 25 ml (0.85 US fl oz) or sometimes larger. They are used only for preparing and serving food, not as part of a place-setting.
So you can see that where my mum's passed down recipes call for a tablespoon measure, from her cutlery drawer she would have used a spoon of at least 25ml whereas a modern tablespoon measure is only 15ml. Any clearer now?  :D

xx
Everything tastes of wooden spoon.

Started by Lardman on Kitchen Natter

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2019, 11:55
by DanielCoffey

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 42 queries.