Szechuan pepper harvest 2018

• 9 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Szechuan pepper harvest 2018
« on: October 04, 2018, 11:57 »
One of the smaller harvests this year, but my pepper bush has done really well and I have quite a stash.  Given it is quite a pricey spice to buy, I am more than chuffed with this lot  :D
IMG_2641.JPG

snowdrops

Re: Szechuan pepper harvest 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 12:02 »
That’s great, will you use it in special dishes or just substitute for black pepper? What size Bush is it? Is it in the ground/pot at home or plot?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 16:43 »
I didn't know you could grow Szechuan pepper in the UK? Where did you get the seeds from, I'd love to have a go at those :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 11:27 »
That’s great, will you use it in special dishes or just substitute for black pepper? What size Bush is it? Is it in the ground/pot at home or plot?

Its not really a black pepper sub Snowdrops as it tastes different.  Last year I only got a fraction of this, so made a salt/black pepper/szechuan pepper mix as a rub and seasoning for meat.  I used it on chicken and pork and for marinating meats for stir-fry.  This year I will branch out.

I've put on a picture of Mr Spikey.  He's about 4 years old now and lives in a pot at home.  In the absence of other pruning info, I pruned him like a small fruit tree with spurs coming off the main branches and that seems to have worked wonders for producing the pepper berries.  These bushes have lethal thorns, so it also keeps him under control as they are quite untidy plants if left to grow untamed and long branches of waving thorns are a bit of a worry  :ohmy:

He's going into autumn colours now before dropping his leaves,  but is fully hardy outside over the winter.
Unknown.jpeg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 11:31 »
I didn't know you could grow Szechuan pepper in the UK? Where did you get the seeds from, I'd love to have a go at those :D

Mine was bought as a plant and arrived as no more than a rooted stick tbh, but they are fast growing and easy, so I wouldn't be put off by that.

I have given away seeds, but they don't seem to germinate for some reason.  Sunshineband tried last year to no avail.  You have given me a thought to try some hardwood cuttings actually - I'll get back to you on that one   :)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 12:24 »
Thanks. I might have a look around and see if I can get a plant.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 17:51 »
Well done New Shoot. You have a beautiful plant and I am really glad you have such a worthy harvest! All good  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 19:30 »
Thanks Newshoot, I’ll pass on it for now, with 2 tiny grandchildren I’ve just chopped down our’tree of Rome ‘ that I grew from seed that collected on the Spanish Steps...you’ve guessed it in Rome....because of its horrendous spikes that would have impaled a small child had they fallen on it, plus I don’t like spiky plants(memories of being forced to help my grandparents weed the front garden for my parents, it was all rose bushes 😂. Enjoy your harvest, I’m waiting for the saffron that Surbie sent me , to produce more than the 2 strands I harvested last year😂

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 21:17 »
Roasted sea salt and pepper mix made the other day.  You dry roast both, then bung in a spice grinder.  Its good fierce stuff  :)

Also oil with the pepper and hm chilli flakes - you heat both in the oil, leave to steep for a couple of days, then strain.  I discovered this was fab with eggs, but I'm sure it will get a regular outing on all sorts of foods  :D
IMG_2716.JPG

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 22:02 »
Sounds good, enjoy

xx
1st harvest of the year in the dehydrator

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

111 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 19:46
by Madame Cholet
xx
Harvest stashing mode engaged

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

7 Replies
Last post August 13, 2017, 20:52
by New shoot

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 36 queries.