Talk to me about Pickled Eggs

• 4 Replies

DanielCoffey

Talk to me about Pickled Eggs
« on: September 30, 2018, 19:03 »
I was looking at a box of small bantam eggs I had been given and it got me thinking about pickled eggs...

I don't know if it is my age or where I was brought up, but I seem to have missed pickled eggs when I was younger. I never saw them when I was young and now the only ones I see are those pale ones in jars sold in chip shops which don't seem to taste of anything apart from the vinegar.

Are pickled eggs only really eaten by the late night chippie customer or is there more to them?

I tried once (and only once) to make a small batch to the following recipe and the end result was a fairly dense and intensely vinegary egg that was not really a pleasant experience. I don't know what they should be eaten with or even if the recipe was any good.

Here it is...

1 dozen hard boiled eggs, peeled
4 small celery sticks
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp sugar
Cider vinegar to cover

It said to fill the jars with the eggs, distribute the other things between the jars and top up with cider vinegar to cover then leave for two weeks.

OK, we ate them all but it was a bit of an ordeal as they were so strongly flavoured.

So, what is the point of pickled eggs?

snowdrops

Re: Talk to me about Pickled Eggs
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 19:33 »
No idea I’m afraid, & I’ve never ever been tempted to try one. I’ve only ever seen them in chip shops, don’t remember either of my grandmothers making them. Sorry I’m not much help am I?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 19:37 »
a fairly dense and intensely vinegary egg
Well, most things that are pickled taste mainly of the pickling vinegar, so that's what I expect them to taste like  ;) They make a change from a pickled onion or a gherkin, I suppose  ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 21:47 »
So, what is the point of pickled eggs?

Like a lot of pickled/chutneyed/jammed and bottled foods, they were a way to extend shelf life over the lean times.  I'm sure from the days when modern hybrid layers were yet to be invented and eggs were a seasonal treat.

I must admit I've only seen them in chippies and really old school pubs, where they were eaten as a bar snack to make you thirsty and help the beer down.  OH loves them with fish and chips and I have made them before now, but tbh they were not that different enough from shop bought to prompt me to make more  :lol:

If you don't like them, make pasta dough and freeze it.  That's what I do now when I have a lot of eggs  :)

lettice

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 09:57 »
Love picked eggs.
All the pubs round here do a roaring trade for them round here as a snack.
You can buy them in the supermarkets. A few different brands, but the best I have tried are Garners in Waitrose.

If you make your own, you need to put them in Distilled Malt Vinegar, the one that says Barley.
That then does not overpower them with the flavour of vinegar.
Add nothing else.
Make sure you cook the eggs for ten minutes.
They will keep for about six months.
Recently did some using Waitrose Braddock White duck eggs, but normally do them with Waitrose Burford browns. Both equally delicious. Well worth choosing a tasty egg for these.
I would not have though the chip shop ones these days would be guaranteed a good tasty egg.

xx
Sell by Date of Eggs

Started by Elaine G on Kitchen Natter

5 Replies
Last post September 28, 2014, 18:32
by Yorkie
xx
Home Produced Eggs West Midlands

Started by chickadeedo on Kitchen Natter

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2016, 00:56
by Craigx

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 37 queries.