Stones in a Damson Crumble?

• 4 Replies

DanielCoffey

Stones in a Damson Crumble?
« on: August 23, 2018, 23:07 »
It is coming round to that time of year again when Damsons are available and while I use most of the ones I buy in jam, I have noticed that Damson Crumble is rather popular.

Given the fact that Damsons really don't like letting go of their stones till they are really well cooked, how much of a nuisance are the stones in a Crumble? I know to my cost when jam making that it is practically impossible to get them all out and they are rather pointy!

Any tips on avoiding losing a filling?

Kleftiwallah

Re: Stones in a Damson Crumble?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 13:47 »

If you take the stones out of the crumble, how are you going to play "Tinker Taylor Soldier Sailor?

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 11:41 »
After a bit of trawling the internet for Damson Crumble recipes, I found it was roughly split down the middle... put them in whole and get the texture of the damsons but have to spit the stones or alternatively stew them first and strain them as you would for jam and lose the texture but don't get the stones.

A typical recipe seems to be a pound of Damsons, about 4 spoons of sugar, a dash of water and a knob of butter under the usual 100g flour, 50g sugar, 50g butter crumble topping.

Alternatives suggest going half and half Damsons and Apples and holding back a little of the flour and using medium rolled oats.

Damsons are in the shops now for the next few weeks and they freeze well.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 21:40 »
Remove the stone as they are poisonous

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 07:08 »
I would not want to swallow them anyway because the shell sides are sharp and indigestible.

I looked up the toxicity warnings and you would have to eat a few hundred raw damson pits to suffer ill effects and the toxic compound is denatured by cooking.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 31 queries.