Sterilizing milk bottles?

• 5 Replies

DanielCoffey

Sterilizing milk bottles?
« on: July 13, 2018, 11:18 »
Both of our local independent dairies are going back to glass bottles for their milk so I am wanting to be prepared for cleaning and sterilizing the bottles before re-use.

The system they are using is not "rinse and return", rather it is "sterilize and refill".

I don't have a dish washer so will be hand washing the bottles (the brushes are already on the way) but I also need to have them sterilized. This causes us a problem because we are on a private waste treatment system with a stern admonition not to use bleaches or sterilizing agents. I will need to hot water sterilize them instead.

I don't have a pan tall enough to take 1 liter bottles plus the necessary trivet so I wondered if there are any useful boiling water baths that can take 1 liter bottles?

What about bottle drainage too? Are there any nice milk bottle drainers I could look at?

Pescador

Re: Sterilizing milk bottles?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 17:02 »
After washing and draining, place in oven and heat to 120 C for 20 minutes.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 17:05 »
Thanks for the confirmation.

I had come across a preserving website suggesting washing and rinsing then to fill once with hot water from the kettle, drain then put in the oven until dried. It is like with jam jars... it is wet heat that kills the bugs, not dry heat.

Of course the lids can't be put in the oven but they can sit in a small quantity of boiling water for a moment and then dried.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 17:08 »
Our local dairy is the same, but they sterilise the bottles before using them again, rather than relying on out sterilisation process, as during the collection of empty bottles they are liable to become non-sterile again. We wash the bottles thoroughly in hot soapy water but the dairy sterilises them before refilling
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 17:20 »
I think that if we opt for the delivery service (which is extra) they collect the empties to clean to the appropriate standards but for the "get it yourself" option where you go direct to the farm and use the vending machine, we have to deal with the cleaning ourselves.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 17:39 »
Have a look at steam sterilisers for baby bottles, electric & microwave, they electric ones are very quick, about 15 minutes max, you might pick up a 2nd hand one on eBay, Facebook market place,gumtree or a car boot, no chemicals just water
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Milk bottles in the summer?

Started by DanielCoffey on Kitchen Natter

8 Replies
Last post February 15, 2019, 15:31
by wighty
xx
Died milk

Started by chrissie B on Kitchen Natter

10 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 12:21
by Blackpool rocket
xx
Lidl's milk frother

Started by ghost61 on Kitchen Natter

1 Replies
Last post November 08, 2014, 19:39
by pigguns

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 34 queries.