A Sad Joke !

• 8 Replies

mrs bouquet

A Sad Joke !
« on: July 10, 2018, 11:00 »
A very elderly lady lives across from me, she is comfortably off, and never asks for help, but will always pay for any help she needs and will often get ripped-off in the process.
Last week  she called upon a village builder/handyman to do a very small task, which took a few minutes, when finished she asked how much he wanted paying.   He replied, Oh just give me a drink.  Are you sure, she said, and so went indoors, and came out with a glass of squash.
Could be a funny, except she is now the butt of the village laugh, among some the the village "blokes" and I think that's cruel.  The lady (and she is a lady) will be mortified.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

hamstergbert

Re: A Sad Joke !
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 13:44 »
Am I the only one who thinks that, were the handyman a gentleman, he would have simply drunk the squash with every indication of enjoyment, handed the empty glass back and said something along the lines of "Thank you, madam, that was most refreshing" and strolled off without feeling any need to discuss it with anyone else with a view to encouraging ridicule.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 15:49 »
You are so right, unfortunately the "blokes" to which I refer, would never have the good manner and understanding of this situation.  At one time they would all have been in the Public Bar, now our village pubs don't have them !!!!   Believe me, in a small village I know who these people are.  Possibly all right individually, but not with their mates and a few pints.  Sad.    -    Mrs Bouquet

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 20:12 »
That 'builder' now has lost quite a lot of future business!

Why will anyone else ask him for a small favour now? He therefore won't get to quote for jobs where he could have made some money, so more fool him!

Tell your lady chum to mention this every time the 'joke' comes up. He's clearly the loser.

Hamsters is right of course. So many people don't think further than their next pint.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 14:22 »
That is awful! It doesn't matter how rich you are you should be treated with respect and not made a fool of just because she did what she thought was right. If GG was around and heard about it, I'd go out with a big glass, find what pub he was in, ask for the beer slop tray to put in my slug traps, then would go up to him and say "I believe you are the village handyman. Would you like a free pint? Yes? Well, here it is," poured the lot all over him then said "I think we've got the last laugh, don't you!"
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 20:29 »
Thinking further, why not mention this to the local paper?

They love stories like this, and his name will be mud for miles around! His income will drop like a stone, and maybe some other idiots may learn a lesson too!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 21:17 »
No need now, word is also going round the village about what slime-balls they are.   He and they know who they are.  Mrs B

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 19:47 »
Why give the builder grief for recounting a story with a bit of humour to it .
Everyone has their moments of daftness and i dare say if she is a true lady she will she the funny side of it !
As we get older we say and do some daft things , any members of my family  doing so will get it passed on to others with no malice intended !
If anyone here has not heard the price being a drink before (normally a pint or two and under a £10 er) they have led a very sheltered life and probably overpaid for lots of jobs.

There are far more important things in this life to be mortified about than a minor faux pas . ;)

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 20:06 »
Thinking further, why not mention this to the local paper?

They love stories like this, and his name will be mud for miles around! His income will drop like a stone, and maybe some other idiots may learn a lesson too!

One of the daftest ideas possible if you are concerned about the ladies embarrassment !
Why not national tv !
A story told in confidence  can sometimes get passed on to mindless mickey takers without any malice on the part of the original teller !
I never judge a person from one sided hearsay from another even if they members of my favourite internet allotment forum !

xx
Primary School Joke

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2018, 10:55
by rowbow
xx
Ken Dodd's joke writer.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2023, 17:37
by wighty

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 44 queries.