RIchard bertinet bread method

• 12 Replies

chrissie B

RIchard bertinet bread method
« on: March 23, 2018, 11:42 »
Hi all i bought a mag for my trip to see the terracotta worriers fantastic by the way .
and in was an artical by richard bertinet and his method for the kneadind of bread which i a slap and fold method , its quiet a moist dough and you weigh the water , oviously hes had a lot of practice as mine was all over the place he said it wouldnt stick too long to my fingers but got so bad i had to wash my hands , it was the first time , ive sent for the book so im hoping , is anyone using this method and is it working out for them .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Toosje

• Experienced Member
Re: RIchard bertinet bread method
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 14:59 »
I am experimenting with 'wet' sour dough.

Every week I sell products on a farmers market and my neighbor is a baker. What he does is, make a fairly wet dough, let it rise at 8 degrees for 24 to 48 hours, press it flat, fill up steel ... shapes? and let them rise again over night and on the day of baking he takes them out to bake. What I noticed is 1: he uses a big kneader for kneading so no sticky hands, 2: He uses a lot of oil the second time, so the dough will let go of the shape very easy..

I don't think it matters wether you take ml or weigh the water because it is the same. What I learned through the years is when you use some one else's recipe it is possible your dough will be to wet or to dry. Flour is very sensitive to humidity or drought. So take the water, but don't plunge everything in your heap of flour wright a way.. (or is it right? I am never sure).

Good luck!

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 15:19 »
First one was very wet almost like a ciabatta  its took ages to rise it has very little yeast in it for a liol of flour then i was reading an artical for 500g flour did the same but it had more yeast managed to get a shape oout the second one and it almost over taken the first  i should have waited for the book but patience not my strong suit.
chrissie b

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 18:36 »
Ok its finally out and almost cooled and i have to say ive never been so dissapointed in anything ive cooked they are literly like bricks , not hard But hardley a rise in them its been a waste of a whole day and im knackered my hubby has begged me to go back to the old recipe , i will wait for the book and try again .
chrissie b

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 08:50 »
Well had some for breakfast and although the crust was nice and tasty any crunchy the rest was not up to standard so with a heavy heart and pleas from hubby to return to my origanal recipe i will wait for my book .
im sure the 2 recipes i got on line were wrong one had a teaspoon dried active yeast for a kilo of flour the other had fast action yeast and 10g salt for 500g
chrissie b

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 09:28 »
Normally you take 7gr of dry yeast (11 fresh) on 500 grams of flour with one teaspoon of salt.

You can use less and add yoghurt for fermentation but it will still take longer to rise.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 09:30 »
I thought most of his recipes were sour dough - so very little, if any, actual yeast was added.

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 14:23 »
Jnot this one aparently its one aasic dough from which you can bake various things , his was so light and pillowy , we tryed some for breakfast  it had a bounce to it but just wasent good , i put some out for the birds and even they wouldnt touch it , ive ordered his book , i do think that there was too much salt in the last batch you could taste it .
as we preak i have old faithful in the oven as requested by hubby he says why change it if it works .
chrissie b

chrissie B

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 18:26 »
Well today my book called dough by richaerd bertinet  came , excited i was as i egerly tore the wrapper off to find my well thumbed book but i was expecting that and knew it was pre owned but what i wasent expecting was it was from a charity shop , dont get me wrong i get loads of cook,sewing books ect but when i buy a book for 6.99 i dont expect it to have a 1.99  sticker on it .
chrissie b

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 22:15 »
Would you have been happy with the book and the price you paid, if you hadn't seen the sticker? If so then forget the sticker.
IMO either the book was worth it or it wasn't  ;)

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 16:05 »
I thought most of his recipes were sour dough - so very little, if any, actual yeast was added.

Sorry I looked up a recipe and it used just Yeast.

For 1 kg to 1.2 kg I make 700 grams sour dough and start mixing at it's highest activity.

What is most important for me is the activation of the gluten, or not. If you look for a crumbly structure (cake, soda bread) don't pester the gluten, if you like normal airy bread pester the gluten until nice and smooth, if you prefer chewy bread (chiabata, traditional french bread) you pester the gluten and for the thready structure plan ahead to start a nice 'biga'.

chrissie B

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 18:42 »
This book has no sour dough  recipes but does say you can you can keep part of the dough in the fridge to feed if you want .
i bought the book cos it was a good price but dont you think they could have taken off the 1.99 charity shop sticker.
chrissie b

chrissie B

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 09:16 »
the book has good recipes and ive tryed the method its a bit exhausting , i saw a youtube and the bloke did it 600 timed , he was young and fit .
chrissie b

xx
delia bread

Started by chrissie B on Kitchen Natter

23 Replies
Last post October 22, 2015, 20:25
by chrissie B
xx
Old bread flour.

Started by Elaine G on Kitchen Natter

4 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 18:58
by DanielCoffey
xx
Bread machines

Started by LILLILEAF on Kitchen Natter

7 Replies
Last post October 06, 2022, 17:46
by rowlandwells
xx
Bread flour - just in time!

Started by mumofstig on Kitchen Natter

15 Replies
Last post July 16, 2020, 17:28
by jaydig

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 39 queries.