What to do with....

• 3 Replies

snowdrops

What to do with....
« on: March 12, 2018, 12:09 »
The crab apples that I’ve just taken out of the brandy & gin that I was flavouring, can I freeze them to cook up later for a booze crumble or jam or do I just need to dispose of them. To complicate the issue I’m going away tomorrow for 8 days so don’t actually want to make anything with them today. If they need to stay in the liquids I could pour it back over for now & re strain it when I’m back. I’m taking some with me that’s why I’ve finally got round to doing it today! It was for Christmas presents but I was poorly
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

madcat

Re: What to do with....
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 12:17 »
Yes you can - but dont expect them to go completely hard (so make sure the box in the freezer is stable and won't leak or spill - painful experience there  :( ) and they will lose a bit of the alcohol.  But still it is a better option than ditching them.  :) :)  I do it all the time - it takes more time than I have at any point to strain and do something with the fruit, so the freezer is a hero.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 01:24 »
We find the booze-soaked fruit keeps for ages in the fridge in a plastic box ready to use......

Blackcurrants and honey with a sponge topping (certainly not innocent enough to be Eve's pudding!)

Raspberries in bread and butter pudding

Lemon peel chopped small in lots of recipes including the Christmas cake

Hmmmm what will we have this year?
ManicMum

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 08:10 »
Thanks both, I’m ashamed to say I just couldn’t cope with anything else on the day so they went to the compost bucket but on tasting the gins I’ve a feeling I’ll be making them again so will be better prepared, if of course I get given crab apples again!lol

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 34 queries.