Has anyone tried kefir?

• 20 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Re: Has anyone tried kefir?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 19:13 »
Mine have already gone from 5 to 15 as well! I haven’t noticed any benefits yet although this is usually the half term when I am most run down so hard to tell at the moment! I’m adjusting to the taste of it as well and don’t feel like I am forcing myself to drink it each morning. I’m glad it is having positive effects for you though!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 16:19 »
My tummy has been a bit 'rumbly', which I presume is due to the good bacteria moving in (they must have a lot of furniture!  :lol:).  It's probably my fault for drinking too much (apparently, it's supposed to be a gradual process)!

I've read (UK Kefir site on Facebook) that the addition of flavourings (milkshake syrup/fruit etc.) can help with the flavour, although I've always loved yoghurt, so I actually enjoy it.  :tongue2:

I've had to move my grains to the fridge to slow ferment for a couple of days now, while I catch up.  Fortunately, my Mum, her friend and my niece (who has tummy troubles) would like some grains (Dad will undoubtedly be partaking, with the addition of some strawberry syrup).

Do let me know how you get on RJR.   :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 09:47 »
I hadn't heard of kefir till I read this post - have now googled it and can't wait for some feedback on here about whether people are both benefiting from and enjoying this!
ManicMum

grinling

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 08:27 »
I know people who give this to their dogs.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 17:03 »
I'm really enjoying mine ManicMum.   :tongue2:

I usually have a glass in the morning, or pour it on my cerial (it's very filling), and both Mum and I have noticed that we feel a bit slimmer and 'better in ourselves', which may be because we feel less bloated.

I did start to feel a bit 'kefired out', so I used some to make Greek yoghurt (much easier than having to pre-heat the milk and keep it at the right temperature, as kefir ferments at room temperature). 

Now I'm into a routine where I make enough for a few days and store it in a container in the fridge. I then put the grains in some milk in the fridge (the fermentation slows right down) until I need them again.

Some people make smoothies with it, but I understand it's possible to also make probiotic cheese, butter or use it as a sourdough starter. 

I'm now going to buy some water kefit grains for my niece, as she's not a huge dairy fan, and while it's possible to use the milk grains with coconut milk, it's not ideal.

And yes Grinling, dogs apparently enjoy kefir (particularly the excess grains).  :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 21:32 »
The water kefir grains arrived today, and they are now in some spring water with sugar.  I bought them for my niece (not a fan of dairy), so I'll split them between us and see how it goes...

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 34 queries.