Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

• 497 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.
« on: September 18, 2009, 22:06 »
Well it is getting to the time of year when the nights start closing in and the world starts getting ready for winter.

Unfortunately for us that seems to mean a really abrupt increase in fox attacks on our hens and ducks. There was a really dramatic increase this time last year and I was one of them and the pattern seems to be repeating itself this year.

It seems to be a combination of the early nights catching people out, many more foxes around as this years cubs mature and are not yet thinned out by the winter and the dropping levels of food making them all more bold.

It is a truely heartbreaking sight to come out to the carnage left by a fox so it is the time to take extra care locking up your birds.

Be vigilent!!!

This might help:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=25998.0
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 19:53 by Kate and her Ducks »
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: Fox Attacks Warning.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 22:14 »
We went to grannies last night and we got back when it was dark! the muscovies had gone to bed but as i wasnt home the door was wide open!  :ohmy: and the runners were already in bed but the door shut so bob and vi couldnt get in and found them asleep outside the growers shed! i was stressing all the way home! next time i think there may be a slight chance we will be back after dark i will definately have to chase them to bed before we go, for their own safety!

Debbie

thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iwantanallotment

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 00:04 »
Same here, Debbie. They all go into their houses at practically 7 on the dot, but still need someone to shut the doors after them.
Tonight I was surprised to see the youngsters still out at 7 - the door had blown shut and they couldn't get in  :ohmy:  Bless, they weren't happy. Thankfully I was here, but it was scary. What if I wasn't?
Like you, I'd rather shut them in early if needs be and know they're safe than take any chances with Mr Fox.
Lost my last lot of girls to him a few years back, a devastating sight as Kate said  :(
After finding them like that, and our faithful special layer ripped apart showing next morning's early egg inside her, it's taken several years to find the courage to get more.
Many think foxes don't come out until the wee hours....WRONG! They are out at dusk, and earlier in some cases, even daylight.
We ALL have foxes on our doorstep, cities as much as country lanes. Even if you don't see them, they're there.

Please all be careful, they don't miss an opportunity  :mad:

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 01:23 by iwantanallotment »

Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 16:14 »
Please Please take care i lost my chooks to a fox at 3-30 in the afternoon last year.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 20:48 »
how deep will a fox dig to get in a run? i've buried wire a foot deep all around AND have planks at the base of the welded mesh sides. I've covered the run with wire too so the only way a fox could get in is underneath.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 00:29 »
I'm worried about that too, Upert. It doesn't help that my dozy lot are digging along the fence to help him in  :mad: There are deep gravel boards buried below my fence that I thought would render the fence safe.......no way, with these JCB diggers  >:(

Got to think of plan B now. My worry isn't how deep the fox will dig, but my daft girlies to welcome him in ::)

"L" shaped fencing is a good deterrent Upert, to bury wire at an angle - so that after so much digging, the fox will hit a "plate" of wire and not be able to dig any further.
Think I need to do that too, to secure my JCB crew.

Sorry if that's not too clear....just think of an L.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 00:41 by iwantanallotment »

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 13:30 »
glad im not the only one with chickens that dig...i dont mind the dust baths,its the digging to australia that botheres me lol :D...im sure they are hiding shovels under all thoes lovely new feathers :D

too many girls

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 13:49 »
Please Please take care i lost my chooks to a fox at 3-30 in the afternoon last year.

me too 35 of them in the space of a couple of hours :(

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 14:58 »
We found a fox at the bottom of the garden this morning about 11am, the closest we have ever seen one.  We always keep a general look out anyway but were surprised to see one this close.  Will have to keep vigilent and maybe start keeping the girls in their run again - they will hate it and make lots of noise but at least they will be safe (still working on the electic fence enclosure project!).

Thrift

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 09:11 »
Yes, we lost two hens to Reynard at around 3pm on both occasions.

Our main problem has been maturing cubs out practising 'the hunt' and the silly girls going walkabout in the fields!

Having been dogless for a year maybe we should take the plunge and get them a minder.

longbow

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 12:23 »
Being in the suberbs of London, we have foxes galore. During darkness we have at least one fox an hour passing the the house at the front and god only knows how many passing through the unlit back garden where the hens are kept. From time to time they can be sen sleeping in the sun on neighbouring shed roofs. Now I like foxes so decided that my chickens would only have access to a run and not the whole garden (I also like my plants). So I took my time and converted an unproductive part of the garden which is shaded by trees for most of the day into a 20ft x 6ft fully enclosed run. It has a base of 4" x 4" gate posts laid flat and staked to the ground to which the upright panels approx 7' x 3' made from 2" x 1" ,are attached. These are covered in aviary mesh as is the roof. I then dug out the interior to about a foot and laid down more aviary wire all overlapped and attached to the gate posts then refilled adding with the earth alot of potting compost which keeps the ground relatively soft for the birds to scratch around in and because we only have 3 hens in this large run, apart from the droppings that are left in the coop itself the run is self composting. I was also a big concern that vermin were not attracted and I am 99% confident that even mice cannot get in! I'll post some pics if I can.

darrena

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 21:22 »
Does anyone know a good ultrasonic fox detterent and do they really work??????

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 07:33 »
I've used one as it can't hurt but I would never rely on it over good fox proof barriers. Just got mine off the internet, can't remember the brand.

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 11:23 »
Timely warning.  My girls were attacked yesterday evening  :(  My gobby girl kicked up such a racket (really bloodcurling noise) and my OH was out there immediately and the fox was still there, caught up in the run netting - thank God!

One of my girls lay dead, one was missing and the other was obviously injured.  I picked her up and collected the missing one who was heading for our back door by this time but thankfully uninjured.  The other was really traumatised and completely off her legs, her feathers were all over the place  :(

The fox got free and ran off and my husband went to retrieve the dead girl who turned out to be ALIVE, she was just playing dead!  Both girls made it through the night, I kept the poorliest one in the kitchen in a travel box overnight. Both were quite alert this morning, but one very wonky on her leg and very unbalanced, the other girls feathers were all over the place and hanging off in spectacular fashion, the run was covered in feathers.  I am very concerned and rang the vet who says to leave them well alone for now, and then ring him back if they get any worse :(  I was horrified  :(

Rubellite

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 22:39 »
Oh dear - I do hope they pull through. Perhaps your vet meant not to add to their stress but just observe and keep them warm and safe unless they take a turn for the worse?

xx
That time year for Veg

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 09:37
by madcat
xx
FOX ALERT - the time of year

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 23:55
by hillfooter
xx
does anyone get to see their hens this time of year?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 13:26
by TeaPots
xx
Moulting! at this time of year

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 16:19
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 40 queries.