pet mouse

• 6 Replies

sneezer

• Experienced Member
pet mouse
« on: June 15, 2010, 16:02 »
Hi  there I am usually on the poultry pages but I was wondering if any one had any experience with pet mice, I have just come back from the vets and Zip has a tumour on her side, she is only 7 months old, and its not the usual tumours they get on their belly,does this happen much with rodents? she's not in any pain at the moment so we will have to see day by day how she gets on. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. :(

spottymint

Re: pet mouse
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 20:17 »
Hi

Yes, both mice & rats are prone to tumours.

As a kid, one of my mice had a lump nearly as big as himself, grew fast & had to be put down, his brother had it too.

Some strains of mice & rats are more prone to them, then other strains. In lab rats ect, it's bred into them for research purposes.

We had rats opperated on for lumps, but they always went downhill fast afterwards & died within months. We wouln't have them opperated on now, we would watch them to see they are happy, no pain & no ulcerations & put them down when the time came.  :(

Sorry to be so negative.  :(

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 15:00 »
Hi spottymint thanks for your reply, had to have her put to sleep last night as she did rapidly go down hill, a difficult yet easy decision to make as she looked so poorly, have to see how her sister gets on alone now, :(

spottymint

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 16:39 »
Hi

Sorry to hear that, but a least she won't suffer.  :(

She should be ok on her own, as mice can be funny about new mice being introduced. Females are easier to introduce to each other,  then a new male to another male, but it can easily go either way, good or bad.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 14:24 »
Thanks spottymint for your advice, yes it was all quick, her sister seems to be doing ok, took some food from me this morning, and I got her a snuggle dome to sleep in, as they always slept curled on top of eash other, I just hope she'll not get the same problem.

k4t1e195

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 21:53 »
i had 2 female rats that both died because of tumours. I had one operated on because she was young and got nearly another year out of her. The other just died. Aparently its really common in female rodents. Which is a shame because female rats are such good pets. Sorry for your loss. It doesnt matter how big or small pets are they still touch your hearts.
1 dog -Chloe 1 cat - Oscar 2 hamsters - Flo and Tinkerbell 3 ferrets - Charlie, chip and rupert 3 light sussex - Madge, Henrietta and lucy-lou 2 black rocks - Peggy and Betty 1 puppy on the way i'm not mad i'm in love. :)

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 08:28 »
The vet said she had operated on rats and hamsters before but not mice, she asked if i wanted to go down that route but it would be dangerous because of her size with the anesethetic, and at that stage she wasn't in pain and was still moving about so I thought that would cause her more stress than leaving her be, you are right about them touching your hearts no matter how big or small.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.