quail

• 7 Replies

jarrode0

quail
« on: July 31, 2009, 17:14 »
hi,
as i will only be able to get hold of a small area of land i have thought of getting quail. as they are smaller and lay just as mush eggs as chickens(only smaller). so i was wondering does anyone now were i can get some quil from the cardiff area???
and if you think its a good idea 
thanks
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 18:15 by jarrode0 »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: quail
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 21:48 »
I have been talking to poppie in bedfordshire today and she has some quails. According to her they have hardley laid for her  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 21:59 »
Hi,
I used to keep quail, usually they are very good layers, but no comparison (?) to chickens, their eggs are a different taste to chickens and are very hard o peel.
Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

jarrode0

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 11:20 »
well thanks for the help so far

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 22:06 »
Shame you're so far away from me, I breed, hatch and sell quails but I'm in Dover.  Well, when you do get round to getting some they are fully grown at around 50 days old and lay about the same time.  Mine are good layers and lay most days.  Depends if they feel like it I suppose LOL - what I love is the way they just randomly drop an egg anywhere, might be in a nest, might not! Well if I can help in any way, let me know.  Think the general advice is to not keep them with chickens.  Quails are pretty hardy creatures and don't fall ill as often as the possibility of a chicken feeling under the weather.  There is some theory that you should mix chickens and quails re newcastle's disease, do a google.  I thought it was a bit non conclusive. It's best to not mix them though anyway i think. I only mention it as i get asked so often by potential buyers.

Anyway, look on www.poultryads.co.uk for starters or uk bird trader - you should find something soon :)

jarrode0

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 10:18 »
thanks chookster
how far away do you recomend you keep quail away from chickens??
my dads gettin chickens im gettin quail you see

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 00:21 »
sorry for delay - been trying to set  up a farmers' market as well as bring up two lovely boys - and chickens of course :D

Anyway, in all honesty, I'm not sure but 99% of people I talk to keep their quail in an aviary of some sorts.  Some (sadly in my opinion) put quail into these quail housing things with runs but I really think something similar to a converted greenhouse or proper aviary is best for a run - they're game birds and if chased or startled they will fly suddenly straight up which can result in head injury / knocking themselves out if they're not given space for their natural behaviour. 

I don't know enough yet about the transfer of disease between quail and chickens but it's something i'm looking into currently.  I have been told by DEFRA that the best option to prevent bird flu for example is to make sure any enclosure has a cover or roof over it, obviously droppings from wild birds is to blame for possible transfer of disease for starters but i think as long as you 'enclose' the quails you will be doing the best you can to separate them from chickens.  I take it you live with your Dad and the chickens ( and possibly both of you ;D) are free ranging?

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 11:22 »
When I used to breed quails, I used to keep my quail and chicken chicks together, (different ages and only the smaller chicken chicks). I also had adult quails and adult chickens in aviarys next to each other, but this was before avian flu reared it's head.
Quails will need to be kept in an aviary type pen as they can fly quite a distance.

Michelle xx

exclamation
quail

Started by jarrode0 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 20:58
by jarrode0
xx
Quail help again please.

Started by coughdrop on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 24, 2011, 08:10
by Sassy
xx
quail??

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post December 09, 2009, 19:18
by lisa80
xx
Dez res for Quail.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 08:03
by Viv

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 40 queries.