Chickens flying

• 10 Replies

viettaclark

Chickens flying
« on: February 27, 2010, 22:01 »
Got the shock of my life when I looked out and Looby (a White Star) had managed to get up on an 8' arch by hopping on a plastic chair left out and then launching vertically. She stood there for ages and I was panicking that she was surveying the neighbours' gardens which have alot more green stuff than mine!
None of the girls have ever shown any escape tendencies but Looby is the lightest and the breed is known for flightiness.
When I went out to give them a treat she launched into the air and flew about 20'
Just hope she won't want to wander.....there are various places round the garden that she could reach the top of the fence....... :ohmy: :ohmy:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chickens flying
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 22:16 »
I would say that it's time to clip a wing  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Brian Green fingers

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 22:53 »
Despite clipping a wing, I have had the same problem with (skittle) my white star until i penned her in with a roof. Originally we had a 7' open fence/pen and she would clear it regularly with ease! She never made it into the neighbours garden thankfully; although she had come close a number of times. ;)

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 23:02 »
same here Brian, but mine flew into nextdoors garden a couple of times,  ::)  so had to put her in the enclosed pen. Interestingly, she went back out with the free ranging girls just before Christmas, and hasnt strayed since  :D
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

Elcie

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 12:55 »
I have had to confine my chickens in the greenhouse (not hot though don't worry!) until the run at the allotment is ready as my neighbour has complained that they went over the other day (the third time in 10 months) and were pecking her grass.  The fact that her cat digs up my front garden when I have planted seeds is another story........ :mad:

Have definitely found that Daisy, my white girl, is the flightiest of the bunch.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 13:40 »
I have had to confine my chickens in the greenhouse (not hot though don't worry!) until the run at the allotment is ready as my neighbour has complained that they went over the other day (the third time in 10 months) and were pecking her grass.  The fact that her cat digs up my front garden when I have planted seeds is another story........ :mad:

Have definitely found that Daisy, my white girl, is the flightiest of the bunch.

Did you mention this  :) cat owners are apt to forget what their little darlings do.

My Light sussex did use to get on top of the 6ft hedge for a look around but was never tempted next door. She`s less flighty now she`s in her 3rd year.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 14:07 »
Tell her she is lucky you didnt charge her.....after all, having an expert come to your house to fertilize and trim your lawn isnt cheap ;)

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 19:40 »
not to mention having it scarified, and weeded. Removing ants nests and slugs. It would have taken many man hours to achieve all that

Elcie

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 20:26 »
lol to the replies!  When she text me that she had put them back over I said thank you!  The next day she phoned me.  I didn't mention the cat but I may do at some point in the future.  I have decided not to speak to her about the chickens as I may say some things I will regret!

batcatz

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 23:26 »
Oh dear!  Have you bribed her with eggs and told her about all the slugs n snails your chook will eat?  :D

dizzylizzie

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 23:32 »
Oh dear!  Have you bribed her with eggs and told her about all the slugs n snails your chook will eat?  :D

Not to mention everything else, but probably best to keep that quiet for now he he he

xx
How to stop chickens flying?

Started by Annie Higginbottom on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:27
by desandchez
xx
Flying chickens - in an aeroplane

Started by Rozlynmac on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 21:46
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Flying Ant Day!!!!!

Started by Mr R Design on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2017, 16:27
by danfinn1
angry
flying

Started by hennman on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2011, 15:40
by hennman

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 36 queries.