crazy watering idea needs help

• 12 Replies

Grubbypaws

crazy watering idea needs help
« on: May 17, 2012, 17:58 »
I have created an arch over my garden gate with a Juniperus × pfitzeriana. It looks fantastic leading the eye into a 'secret garden' beyond. However the area underneath gets little or no sunshine.  It is right next to the steps and needs something growing there. In the lightest bit of shade I have planted Vinca minor 'Gertrude Jekyll'  and in the deepest shade Gymnocarpium dryopteris. It looks fantastic but the fern is going to need watering as the juniper also acts like an umbrella so it is very dry. Whilst I am at home and there is no hosepipe ban that is not a problem but it will be when I am away.

The crazy idea

I was wondering whether I could collect water in something lade on top of the pfitzeriana hidden in the shape of the plant ( it is a large plant so that would be easy) and connected to a tube leading down through the bush and ending in a watering rose! Hence a very dry place would get watered naturally when it rained.

The problem

I cant find anything in the shed garage or shops which would be suitable for collecting the water. I envisage a large shallow  funnelly sort of thing.  I have been waiting for an idea to come to me but so far to no avail.

Does any one have a suggestion?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: crazy watering idea needs help
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 18:14 »
Something like a tractor funnel?

Or does it need to be shallower than that?
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 18:22 »
Any idea of its dimensions ? If it is large enough it should work well. So you dont think that I have lost the plot  :wacko:

Phew!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 18:28 »

Knock up a mould and fibreglass your own design.  Plenty of instructions on the web to help you.   8)

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Grubbypaws

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 18:39 »

Knock up a mould and fibreglass your own design.  Plenty of instructions on the web to help you.   8)

Cheers,    Tony.

Could you point me in the right direction this would be an absolute first for me!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 20:02 »
Tractor funnels are often about 12x8 inches across the top, no more than about a tenner to buy...

smud6ie

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 21:55 »
Dustbin lid upside down with a tank fitting in the centre!
smud6ie

savbo

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 09:39 »
or google 'hopper' on toolstation or screwfix...

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 14:23 »

Knock up a mould and fibreglass your own design.  Plenty of instructions on the web to help you.   8)

Cheers,    Tony.

Could you point me in the right direction this would be an absolute first for me!

Have a look at this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOo8gxp3K3w.  When I was at university we built some racing cars and I made 2 full bodyworks, one from carbon fibre for a steel chassis, and then a full monocoque tub like in F3000 or F1.  The first one was done with zero experience.  If you can put a few pieces of wood together to create a mould or the shape you would like you will be able to do the rest of this project in glass fibre really easily. If you do go down this route feel free to ask any questions, or even if you just have questions you want to answer whilst considering it.

Saying all of that it would be easier all round to buy something off the shelf, but the fibreglass route could be cheaper depending on the cost of off the shelf items.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 15:25 »
OK here is what I eventually did and it works a treat.

We now only feed the birds peanuts and fat balls and have  stopped feeding sunflower seeds. Consequently I had a spare feeder with pole and squirrel guard hiding in the garage (http://www.birdfood.co.uk/product_details.php?area_id=2&group_id=27&nav_id=30&prd_id=113) a Christmas present from a few years ago.

I have turned the guard upside down to act as a collecting bowl and screwed in the hollow pole underneath so that it is flush with the bowls bottom. I have placed the bowl on top of the Juniperus × pfitzeriana arch with the pole descending through to water the ferns below.

Perfect!

Less rubbish in the garage   :)
A Christmas present put to good use   :)

And happy ferns  :D

Chrysalis

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 19:08 »
I need a picture, please! ::)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 08:47 »
I need a picture, please! ::)

I am sorry Chrysalis but it wont be possible. The 'bowl' has been expertly placed by OH on top of the juniper and is completely hidden from view. All you can see is the hollow green 'pole' sticking out underneath delivering water to the ferns.

I have to say that I am rather pleased with the solution although I am sure that the tractor funnel would have worked fine as well. I usually try to plant with the conditions in the garden but here have turned  impossible growing condition (bone dry acidic deep shade) into an area where my gymnocarpium should thrive

RHS advice 'Grow in a neutral to acid, leafy, moist soil, enriched with garden compost, in deep shade'

Sorted  :Dx

Chrysalis

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 14:20 »
Good for you!  My visualization is better today and I can now envisage your contraption...

Hope the plants do well   :D

xx
Any idea what we can do with these?

Started by FOB on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post August 18, 2012, 23:49
by fatcat1955
xx
A new idea...

Started by N.WalesIdealist on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 21:57
by ex-cavator
xx
Shed Base Idea - thoughts?

Started by Jes0rKah on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2013, 18:34
by JaneF
xx
Idea for cheap plastic polytunnel/greenhouse

Started by mr brambles on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 14:19
by Twoflower

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 35 queries.