Lawn Moss

• 13 Replies

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
Lawn Moss
« on: March 10, 2012, 17:23 »
HI , can anyone advise me on removing moss from my lawn , there is a lot of it.I have not mowed it yet,do I mow ,treat then scarify,or visa/versa to get the best results.Thanks for any help.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Lawn Moss
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 17:32 »
Glad you asked this question  :D

(I don't know the answer!)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 17:35 »
My wife said that!!!!

mattwragg94

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 18:06 »
mow, then rake, then sow seeds.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 18:19 »
If you are using "weed, feed and mosskiller" I don't think you are supposed to apply it just after mowing.

After it has done its stuff, you can use a metal spring-tined rake to drag the dead moss out - alternatively you could beg, borrow, steal, or hire an electric scarifier which will do the job with less effort even without using mosskiller, although you will probably still be there after sunset as it doesn't matter how many "passes" you make you always seem to be able to drag some more up.  :nowink:

Final thought - if you decide to compost the mountain of moss and plant debris you have created be prepared for a long wait - it does rot down in the end, but mine took at least 2 years!  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 18:34 »
Also a good idea to aerate the lawn, if it's not too big you can do it with a fork. Jab in as deep as you can and wiggle it about, you will need to do it about 8 inches or a foot apart, then sweep some sand into the lawn. This all helps with drainage which helps stop the moss getting hold.

By the way, if you have never scarified your lawn before, don't panic if it looks a mess for a while, it will soon pick up'

Have fun! :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 18:39 »
It also helps to not mow the grass too short once you have got it under control.
Cheese makes everything better.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 18:51 »
Also a good idea to aerate the lawn, if it's not too big you can do it with a fork. Jab in as deep as you can and wiggle it about, you will need to do it about 8 inches or a foot apart, then sweep some sand into the lawn.

That's certainly a good idea if poor drainage is the problem, but with my lawn it's the same problem as in the rest of the garden - it's sandy, dry and lacking nutrients, although in autumn and early spring it's damp enough for the moss to really have a party.  :(

Frequent summer irrigation seems a bit un-PC these days, and although the grass puts on a spurt if I feed it, it then stops growing again when I stop, or if there is a dry spell. I rarely have to mow the lawn more than 4 or 5 times a year!

I just try to look on the bright side these days - it's lovely and springy to walk or lie on!  :lol:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 18:57 »
I used some lawn moss to pad out some bark chips that I swept up from my path to replace the bark and dry moss in my phalaenopsis (sp?) which was a bit sickly and hadn't flowered for years.

The moss has survived and has padded out the container that the plant is in which I thought would have been detrimental to it, but the plant has produced a second set of leaves and is back in flower with no feeding or chemicals at all!  I was pretty chuffed, I can tell you :)

I think it's providing a conduit for the moisture to keep the roots damp without keeping the plant constantly wet 8)

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 16:29 »
I have an electric scarifier and usually get 2 dustbins full of moss off ,my quandary was in what order to do the treatments. Is It down to personal preference.It does take for ever to rot down as jayG says, so I'll donate it to the recycling bin as space on the compost is short .Looking at the weather I might wait till it looks like rain as It will scorch the lawn if I put the feed and moss killer on while its dry,don't want to have to water it in as it looks like we could be  getting hose pipe bans soon.(Come on rain) :unsure:   

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 18:16 »
I shall be watering on sulphate of iron in the next week or so; then will scarify once it's taken effect, and then mow.

Feed and weed won't go on for another few weeks.

Sprinter60

• Vegetable Garden Direct
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 20:14 »
Hi Muckyboots, iv been treating moss in lawns for many years, its something you can only manage, you probably won't get rid of permanently any time soon!!!!
have you considered digging the whole lot up and growing more veggies / sorry couldn't resist

wighty

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 21:16 »
If we took all the moss out of our lawn we'd have nothing left! :D We try every year to get rid of it but because the back garden is on a slope the top is lush grass and the bottom!

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 15:27 »
Hi thanks for all your suggestions ,can't dig it up as its at the front of the house and the quality controller will not let me.Just heard the news hose pipe ban immanent. :dry:

xx
How To Get Moss Out Of Lawn?

Started by whitespirit66 on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 12:58
by Stripey_cat
xx
Moss in Lawn

Started by Glosterboy on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 14:27
by JayG
xx
moss in lawn

Started by Janeymiddlewife on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 20:48
by sion01
xx
Lawn woes, moss

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 19:04
by muckyboots

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 36 queries.