Feeding pigs

• 3 Replies

Silkysmooth

Feeding pigs
« on: January 22, 2012, 13:52 »
Hi All,

Our council allotment has kindly decided to let us pilot keeping pigs on two large plots on our allotment. We are very excited! We have registered the land and we are picking up 5 saddlebacks at the end of February. They will be 8 weeks old.

My question is, how much feed will each of them require to get to pork weight? We need to work this out for a bulk order very soon. Also what type of feed will they need too? We preferably would like to keep to one type (I've heard "finishers "may be ok from 8 weeks till slaughter) but don't understand the difference between types other than their protein content.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Andy

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Feeding pigs
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 15:53 »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Silkysmooth

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 20:32 »
Thanks for the link.

It is helpful but I was after a few more personal views on types of feed regimes. I'm very new to this and the books aren't too informative, suppose they could be evasive due to flexibility of feeding?

Thanks anyway! 

A

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 20:25 »
Hi,

we have just had 2 Berkshires gone to slaughter, our first pigs. We kept to the regime of 1lb of food per pig per month of age per day, split into 2 feeds.

We used weaner nuts up to 3 months, then finisher pencils up to slaughter, keeping to the amount up to 4 months, ( 4lb per pig per day) up to slaughter, so, basically after 4 months we didn't increase the amount.

They had fresh greens, apples, spuds (boiled whole in the skins) plus they had alot of rough ground, brambles, twitch etc to root out and eat.

that's about as much as I can tell you.

Good luck and enjoy, we certainly did. ;)

ps,

I was the first one to fall head first in the pig run, sloppy mud, pooh and all. :lol: :lol:

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 37 queries.