Sweet Potato Time 2012

• 165 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweet Potato Time 2012
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2012, 11:47 »
I think the "10C minimum" rule applies here, and I suspect ideally a good deal warmer than that - my sweet potato triffid will continue to live on the kitchen windowsill (threatening to strangle me every time I do the washing up!) until at least this current cold, wet spell is over.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lady Rosemary

• Experienced Member
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2012, 12:12 »
I think the "10C minimum" rule applies here, and I suspect ideally a good deal warmer than that - my sweet potato triffid will continue to live on the kitchen windowsill (threatening to strangle me every time I do the washing up!) until at least this current cold, wet spell is over.
Thanks JayG!  I currently have some 1st earlies growing in the space in the tunnel that I want to put sweet potato plants in when they're harvested so hope they'll be out in time.  I planted those about three weeks ago. :-)

Mandy
~Remember What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.~

Trillium

« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2012, 15:17 »
If you remember the key timing: 4 months for growth in the hottest weather, then you can calculate when to plant them.

For others wondering when, a good idea is to warm the intended planting area by placing black plastic over the area for a few days to heat up the soil. Plant the sweet potatoes, and immediately cloche the plant until it either outgrows the cloche or the weather is hot enough to remove the cloche. Mind, the planting still needs to be done in late May rather than now.

For those with good sprouts, now is the time to carefully twist off the sprout from the main potato (don't need to remove any potato with it) and either plant the sprout in some damp compost in a pot for each, or put the sprouts in a clean jar of water for a week or two and then pot in compost.

I know it seems very odd, but this is how it's done.

Lady Rosemary

• Experienced Member
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2012, 12:20 »
If you remember the key timing: 4 months for growth in the hottest weather, then you can calculate when to plant them.

For others wondering when, a good idea is to warm the intended planting area by placing black plastic over the area for a few days to heat up the soil. Plant the sweet potatoes, and immediately cloche the plant until it either outgrows the cloche or the weather is hot enough to remove the cloche. Mind, the planting still needs to be done in late May rather than now.

For those with good sprouts, now is the time to carefully twist off the sprout from the main potato (don't need to remove any potato with it) and either plant the sprout in some damp compost in a pot for each, or put the sprouts in a clean jar of water for a week or two and then pot in compost.

I know it seems very odd, but this is how it's done.

Thanks Trillium! :-)
I plan on buying the plants (not slips) in from a reputable source (yet to find) and plant immediately as soon as the plants arrive.  I will take on board the advice on putting a cloch over the plants to maintain heat, and let you know how I get on (with pictures hopefully)! :-)

All the best.

Mandy

jonewer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2012, 15:36 »
Finally have some sprouts going!

It took a long old time, but I think this is because I place the tuber in the coldest room in the house - the utility room.

Next year I'll put it in an upstairs bedroom.

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2012, 17:36 »
Just an update really;
I have now potted on Twelve plants using this method having lost only four :)
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

brianthomas

« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2012, 19:51 »
hi everyboddy, just an update the cleaned rainwater seems to have worked.
 no more bubbles or slime and plenty of roots hope to get some shoots soon
  as time marching on , not been able to work the patch last 10 days every thing is refusing to grow except the rhubarb lovely with yogurt.  bt

brianthomas

« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2012, 21:15 »
failed! yesterday when I was changing the water on my sweet/pots the roots fell into the sink,the bottom of the tuber was rotten.
the other one is still ok plenty of roots but no top growth yet .I started with two tubers one large one medium its the large one thats rotted anyone any ideas as i think this year is no no.  BT

Trillium

« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2012, 15:08 »
It's really hard to say why one potato rotted while the other didn't. My guess would be how it was grown and how much fertilizer it had versus manure. Fertilizers tend to make softer growth in my opinion and the large one might have had that problem.

If you have no sprouts yet on the other one, then sadly you won't get a crop this year. However, keep water on it and it will keep growing into next year and you'll be ready then.

LorraineWB

« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2012, 13:15 »
I have just taken delivery of some plug plants which have now been potted and are bathing in the warmth of my greenhouse ready for when the time is right for planting out.  I have read all the comments and advice with interest as this is the first time I've tried growing sweet potatoes.  Fingers crossed and wish me luck!!!!

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2012, 20:59 »
My Ebay potato plants have arrived today also and are now in pots in the bedroom window ready for the end of the month to be planted in the greenhouse
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

brianthomas

« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2012, 21:24 »
news at last? the tuber that was rotten has produced new roots above the rotten bit.
   I havethree purple sprouts growiing,they look like young beetroot leaves.
   Q,can I keep these going and pot on over winter or just take them off and await new growth.many thanks bt

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2012, 09:19 »
I now have eight plants which I will start to harden off soon.

Trillium

« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2012, 15:07 »
brian - you're best to try to grow those shoots this year as they will be hard to overwinter in UK weather, even indoors. The main potato tuber, in good shape, will easily overwinter indoors but not pulled shoots.

Good work, Nige. When you plant them out, cover them with a bottle cloche or something to retain as much heat as possible.

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2012, 17:48 »
Thanks for the tip Trillium ;)

xx
The Great sweet potato experiment! 2010

Started by aelf on Growing FAQs and other Information

182 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 22:16
by mumofstig
xx
sweet potatoes 2011

Started by Trillium on Growing FAQs and other Information

154 Replies
Last post October 24, 2011, 21:18
by Trillium
xx
sweet potatoes (kumara)

Started by always_mowing on Growing FAQs and other Information

5 Replies
Last post February 13, 2010, 16:15
by Trillium

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 50 queries.