Chatting > Frugal Living

Free and Wild Food

(1/38) > >>

stompy:
I have the Wild Food Yearbook, it's fab and it tells you how to identify and find all the different things in a month by month guide.

Sloes are from the blackthorn bush, they are around the size of a pea and are very dark purple almost black.
The bushes that they grow on are spikey like hawthorn bushes but the foliage is much darker and the leaves are smaller almost almond shaped.

You usually find them growing down public footpaths, dissused railway tracks and small country roads.

This post was moved from another thread and merged in here as a great example of what to post. :) It is not in correct thread order as it was posted prior to the existence of this thread. Argyllie.

arugula:
Per a suggestion made for a board or sticky thread on "free food/gathering wild food, how to recognise it, suggestions, where to look and what to avoid", here it is. :)

Kleftiwallah:

'ere Stompy',   leave those sloes alone untill they are about the size of a grape (hopefully a big grape) and they have had a frost on them.   :ohmy:  Cheers,   Tony.

stompy:
Have you seen the size of my peas  ;)  :lol:

I've only picked them once and they were that big in October.

Might of been a bad year, i don't rate them personally

kegs:
Here is a google image of sloes and the bush you will find them on.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&biw=1004&bih=575&q=sloes&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1766l2625l0l7750l5l5l0l0l0l0l391l1797l3-5l5&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Local tradition says to pick them after the first frost!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version