green house cucumber

• 4 Replies

digwell123

green house cucumber
« on: May 25, 2011, 18:54 »
Hi all, just wondering if anyone else has fruits on their cucumbers. very early, how will this affect the later development of the plants???
Rotorvators rule!

gawk

Re: green house cucumber
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 20:13 »
Have already picked 9 fruits from my 5 Passandra cucmber plants in the greenhouse, first time I have tried these and they are going well. Have started to give them a feed now and then so hopefully they will keep on going through the season.

Don't leave the fruit on the plant when it is ready to be picked and with regular feeds they should keep cropping but i did notice they (last years burpless) cycle between prolific periods and periods where the plant is having a break but did get fruit through the season.

By the way I'm absolutely no expert.
It's all too much!

digwell123

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 19:44 »
Thanks for that.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 19:52 »
I take off the first few Cucumbers that form on greenhouse varieties otherwise they have a tendency to think that they have "reproduced" and then take a while to get cracking on producing more fruit.

Not sure why this only applies to the first few fruit though ...

cotteswold

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 09:31 »
1. Agree with Passandra (pic 3) - tried many, but have grown these for years now.
Stop laterals at 2 leaves.

2. Also trying Melen this year (pic 2).

3. Agree with de-fruiting - book says 'up to 2 feet', to allow the plant to establish itself, but I only do it to 1 foot. Breaks your heart when you do it! But seem to have slipped this year!!

4. Feeding. I'm surprised at only starting now. I feed when the first fruit set - as with Tomatoes. We use a 2-1-4 for grow bags.

5. Harvest? We're 650' up in the Cotswolds!
cu1 (486 x 364).jpg
cu2 (364 x 486).jpg
cu3 (364 x 486).jpg

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 32 queries.