Dying Chicken PLEASE HELP

• 16 Replies

chloe

• Experienced Member
Dying Chicken PLEASE HELP
« on: February 16, 2011, 18:44 »
My chicken is very ill, and i know she is going to die. But i want to know what is causing it. (She is a pekin) Quite young, around 7 months. She has been ill for a few days and she just stopped eating and drinking. So i made her drink some water, but today when i got home, she was just on the floor looking dead. Now she just sits looking dead, but she is still breathing. I can't kill chickens, but i really want her to just die as she is just collapsed.

But something weird just happend. I moved the box and her head went straight back onto her back and water started coming out of her mouth... does anyone know why she is doing this, and why she just stopped eating and drinking?

:(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Dying Chicken PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 18:48 »
If you new she was very ill why didn't you take her to the vets.......I cannot understand why you leaving her like this!

rachelr

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 18:53 »
one of mine did that and its just lung fluid ccoming back up. the water you fed her probably earlier. She is probably beyond help and you will probably never find out what or why. by the time chicks show they are ill it is too late anyways. A vet would have put her out of her misery sooner. bless her. I do feel for you but please find some one who can help you euthenase in the unlikelylihood of it happening again.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 19:00 »
sorry Chloe but she needs a vet immediately (she should have been taken before posting this) however if you cannot get her to one please don't let her suffer any more and put her out of her pain.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 19:46 »
I think she's past the vet's care now Chloe.

She needs to be put to sleep now before she suffers any more !

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 20:37 »
Unfortunately not being able to dispatch a chicken is not really an option when you keep chickens unless you have someone else to do it for you or you take your bird to a vet.

It sounds as if you poor hen is beyond help now, however please learn from your experience for the sake of any other birds you own and find someone who would do the dispatching for you in the future if needed or take the responsibility yourself and learn. Try looking for a local game keeper or poultry club. These people are invariably experienced and will be glad to pass on their knowledge of this essential skill.

We all love our birds and one of the last kindnesses you can offer them is a peaceful and swift death.

My sympathy is with you but most of all with your suffering and dying hen.

OL

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 20:47 »
I haven't had to deal with a dying chicken yet, but I have taken dogs to be put down and I support myself by thinking that this is a small return for the companionship I have had over the years from that animal.

If you can't do it yourself, you need a vet asap, or someone who can put down your poor girl.
ManicMum

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 21:12 »
Sorry Chloe but I'm with everyone else on this.  Any vet could put her to sleep and knowing why is a secondary concern.  You've posted at 6.44pm as well, which means it's probably too late for the vet today and your poor hen faces another night of misery. I hope she goes in the night, but if not, please please take her to the vet first thing tomorrow.  I'm sure you don't mean to be cruel, but it's time to let go  :(

NormandyMary

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 21:42 »
Please everyone, dont be too hard on Chloe. It sounds as if she is a new keeper and perhaps a bit niaive. I would hate to think that we have put her off coming on to this board to ask for advice which could potentially save another of her chooks if it became ill.
We all know that she should have sought advice earlier or even done the deed to end her chooks suffering. Im sure that this is a very sad and painful lesson that she has learnt, and hopefully chook is now at peace in chookie heaven with our other babies.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 21:44 by NormandyMary »

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 22:08 »
Please everyone, dont be too hard on Chloe. It sounds as if she is a new keeper and perhaps a bit niaive. I would hate to think that we have put her off coming on to this board to ask for advice which could potentially save another of her chooks if it became ill.
We all know that she should have sought advice earlier or even done the deed to end her chooks suffering. Im sure that this is a very sad and painful lesson that she has learnt, and hopefully chook is now at peace in chookie heaven with our other babies.

I agree completly.  This would have been a very hard and difficult lesson learned in a terrible way for Chloe and her chook.  I am sure she will be now looking for a local vet who treats poultry incase it happens again. 

Please come back if you need more advice on anything Chloe and we will all be here to help as best we can.

PaulineM

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 15:00 »
Hi Chloe
How are you and your girls doing.  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

chloe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 13:42 »
Sorry for letting her suffer like that but she did die during the night. If another one of my hens does get ill i'l be sure to take her to a vet before it's too late

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 14:40 »
Hopefully you won't be in that situation for a long time to come.  It's not a nice place to be in :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 14:47 »
it's never a nice situation but we all learn from times like this xx

NormandyMary

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 18:13 »
Sorry to hear your sad news Chloe. I wish you and your chooks well for many years to come. As others have said, as soon as you think there is a problem, no matter how small or silly it may be, get advice.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

xx
Dying chicken

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 25, 2013, 14:43
by sneezer
xx
dying chicken

Started by kittyb on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 09:15
by Carla
clip
I'm convinced my chicken is dying! PLEASE HELP

Started by ezlingling on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 19, 2017, 11:37
by Sassy
xx
Dying chickens

Started by bacchus51 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 12:06
by joyfull

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 37 queries.