run flooring

• 7 Replies

Amy6

run flooring
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:52 »
Hi all
I've had my 4 ladies for around 2 weeks now and the outside run is on grass, which as expected is now mud.
I have read a few links about what to put on the ground and am thinking of either pea shingle or wood chip.
Any advice on which is best? And cleaning it? Would I have to put slabs underneath?
Many thanks in advance...

Flowerpower136

Re: run flooring
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 13:28 »
They really really like to dig, so would avoid slabs if pos.

Mine just have bare earth, but we have a roof, so don't have so much of the mud problem.  If we do get soggy round the edges, I use soft wood chips, available in big bales from places like B*Q for about £5.

Amy6

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:54 »
Thank you for that, I'm thinking of a partial roof in the inclement weather, seems alright at the moment but it is the UK!!
Will prob opt for the wood chips at least I can scoop it all out fairly often.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:19 »
If you are goping to roof an area over, make sure you can stand upright in it... it is no fun scratting around on your hands and knees in the winter!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 13:16 »
Oh definately make it high enough for you.  It's you that the roof if for!

I love being in the chicken run when it's pouring down.  All the lovely fresh damp air and wet smells, but completely dry.

Actually at the moment the run is, if anything, too dry.  I've had to go in with the hose to give it a soaking.  The girls were not impressed.  Perhpas they thought it was a snake. :unsure:

The downside of very dry soil is that there are no worms :(  And that will never do!

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 22:17 »
We use woodchip over earth.  I am quite lucky as we have free woodchip delivered to the allotment.  I put an extra couple of buckets of woodchip in at the weekend and it is hilarious watching them dig around in it to see who can catch the bugs first!

I remember before I put the girls in the run, I spent ages making sure that the woodchip looked lovely and covered the floor and was even.  These days I realise that even if I put a nice big pile in there give the chickens 5 minutes and they will have levelled it all with their digging and scraping!

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 22:43 »
Use a compostable material and wood chip is Ok if the run is well ventilated so any mould doesn't produce dense spores which can cause severe respiratory problems.  

Gravel isn't easy to keep clean and is not very practical to replace regularly.  Similarly with rubber shreddings.  Wood chip can be composted when it becomes heavily contaminated with droppings.  Also you can use Forest Mulch (shredded hedge trimings and tree pruning) but make sure it's well rotted down and doesn't contain Yew or Laburnum.  It's often free to collect.  If you use wood chippings softwood produces less moulds than hardwood and is to be prefered.

HF
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:24 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Amy6

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 09:34 »
Brilliant, thanks for all the helpful tips.
I've spoken to my friendly local tree surgeon who's going to deliver a nice big pile of woodchips! :D

xx
Chicken run flooring!!!???

Started by Totty on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 15:00
by orchardlady
xx
Pleased with my flooring choice, thought I would share

Started by gracie on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 19:37
by gracie

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 36 queries.