So there was I laughing at you all.....

• 8 Replies

redmolly

• Experienced Member
So there was I laughing at you all.....
« on: May 12, 2010, 23:27 »
......and your broody hens. So pleased that my usual broody Gladys was not showing any signs of broodiness as yet! She still isn't!!

My little treasure - red molly IS!!! AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!

The last hen in the world that I expected to go broody was my little Rhode Star\Warren!!

Seriously - this hen, barely has time to lay an egg. You literally see her, legging it across the garden - into the nest box and running back out in no time, in case she misses something!!

Plus she gorges like no tomorrow and it's not uncommon to see her being sick!!

Well tonight - there she was.....a bit off colour and in the nest box!! And CRANKY!! Which she never is.....with a history of the odd softy on hot days or if something has upset - in she comes for a bath......and cuddles my hand??!!??

No - Molly is not broody I say to myself! Just off colour!! Back out to bed she goes! Checked on her a few times - not happy - quite uncomfortable looking!
As she is used to popping indoors - watching the odd spot of tv and browsing the internet - I bring her in.

Poorly Molly.......in the downstairs loo.....put water in.......put food in for the morning and.....scoffing away like no tomorrow!!???!!!

Is she???? Isn't she?????

Fetched an egg......gave it to her and YES SHE IS!!!

Here we go again!!!

Although....knowing Molly - she may well be over it by tomorrow - which is my fear.....she looked quite upset when I took the egg back!!

Well - if she still is in a couple of days........some fertilised eggs for Molly it is!! I just hate upsetting them when they want some eggs as they have given a lot of joy and pleasure to me - I like to see them happy too.

So it will be the usual tears when having to rehome the babies (I hope that gets easier)......but a lot of pleasure watching them grow!

Moral of the story: Be careful at what you laugh at!!!  :D :D :D

compostqueen

Re: So there was I laughing at you all.....
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 23:29 »
Aw bless her. What a gal  :D

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 18:29 »
I, too, am waiting for my master brooder to start up again.  I enjoyed your retelling of the events! 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 19:24 »
I am baffled by all this broodiness, it seems to be the horror of chicken keepers which I am yet to experience, (not even had an egg yet ) so I have the first egg and the first broody session to look forward to then maybe.....how long does a broody session last ????

broody  (appropriate LOL) :nowink:
if wishes were changes.......

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 20:27 »
Well......Molly seems to have changed her mind! Just as I half expected!!!  :D :D

Big Gladys can have babies whenever she likes......she's just about the perfect weight when she's all done and dusted!!

Well I've read on here about broodiness lasting 3-4 weeks!! I couldn't fight with my hen for that long I'm sure!!

They are very funny to watch though - with their "zen-like" stare!! Amazing watching them rear their babies though - incredible in fact!! I think I sat with her for the best part of the day....every day!! I was absolutely fascinated!!! Fingers crossed that Molly stays non-broody though!!  :D

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 18:43 »
 :D :D the thought of the zen like stare makes me laugh, cant wait to see that one.....oh then again maybe not really what I need to see, think I will hold that thought  :blink:

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 08:28 »
"The Zen Like Stare" LOL I thought mine was dead! and prodded her only to receive one sharp peck back  :D
Toni

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 17:13 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can just imagine!!!

:D :D :D

dizzylizzie

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 17:24 »
"The Zen Like Stare" LOL I thought mine was dead! and prodded her only to receive one sharp peck back  :D

That made me laugh out loud!
I loved my hen when she was broody, and she is trying to go broody again, but ive been lucky with the 3 babies ive got, and im having ducklings so i dont have any room  :(. so as much as i would love to hatch some more there is no more room at the inn :(

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 32 queries.