Ceanothus 'Creeping Blueblossom' as a low hedge??

• 4 Replies

starry

Ceanothus 'Creeping Blueblossom' as a low hedge??
« on: April 19, 2010, 21:14 »
would this work?? I have about 40 foot of border to fill on the outside of a fence along a public foot path would it make a neat hedge if I gave it the occasional trim and how many would I need ??
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

catllar

Re: Ceanothus 'Creeping Blueblossom' as a low hedge??
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 16:25 »
Despite the word "creeping" I think this is a bit of a thug, but very beautiful. I have several in my garden and struggle to keep it within bounds - I left one to its own devices and after 6 years it is over 9 feet across and about 6ft tall, whilst being kind of horizontal at the same time. I don't know how high you want your hedge. Any pruning should be done immediately after flowering and avoid cutting into old wood (speaking from experience) or it will die on you. That said there is a ceanothus hedge in a garden near my daughter's house in stockbridge which is so tightly pruned it could be a box hedge (but it is still 6ft tall.) I guess this one has been pruned v. regularly from a very young plant. They are not very  long lived so I'm told (I'm ready to be corrected, cos I don't want mine to die any time soon) averaging around 10 years.  Judging by mine I wouldn't plant closer than 6 feet apart. Hope this helps.

starry

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 17:30 »
Hi thanks for your reply I have gone off it now I just love the blue flowers and from the pictures I have seen they do seem to get quite big probably going to go for a ground cover shrub now like St johns wort  :)

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 17:39 »
A lot of people round here are using forsythia for hedging - this time of year it looks spectacular.  Nice and easy to control and manage - theres a house I pass and they have used it like privet to a hight of 4ft high.

catllar

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 18:11 »
Yes, with the St.John's Wort you are less likely to get the elfin safety people on your back  - it's not known to be a hazard on the public 'ighway! Will it not die down in the winter???? Forsythia always tempts me at this time of the year but it's a tad boring  (sorry) the rest of the year for me.

xx
Creeping buttercup

Started by Eblana on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post November 02, 2017, 16:38
by Eblana
xx
Creeping thyme lawn

Started by cc on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 28, 2021, 14:44
by cc
xx
Creeping buttercup (how to eradicate)

Started by Leligdowicz on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post January 30, 2008, 14:32
by WG.
xx
Anyone know what my hedge is?

Started by Ice on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post December 30, 2012, 14:34
by Ice

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 35 queries.