Help to identify a bug

• 4 Replies

Deano_The_Beano

Help to identify a bug
« on: May 17, 2007, 21:35 »
I have seen some bugs in my garden this evening there were 2 of them in my herb bed on my sage & i have no idea what they are........ They look like something out of Doctor Who!! They are the same sort of shape but slightly bigger than a ladybird, but are a silver/bronze metallic colour. Does anyone know what they might be??? and if they are goodies or baddies.

WG.

Help to identify a bug
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 21:36 »
We had someone with Sage Leafhopper recently ...

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1006/sageleafhopper.asp

Deano_The_Beano

Help to identify a bug
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 21:45 »
Thanks Whisky-Golf i looked at the link but its definately not a sage leafhopper. Its much smaller and really shiney i might see if its still there tomorrow & take a pic to post on here

Deano_The_Beano

Its a mint beetle
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 22:16 »
After scouring the internet i think ive answered my own question!! Its a mint beetle. (The sage is next to a mint bush) I thought id post this link so if anyone else finds one in their garden or allotment they will know what it is.

http://www.david.element.ukgateway.net/beetles6_files/image008.jpg

WG.

Help to identify a bug
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 22:22 »
Good one.  Poor wee soul must have had blocked sinuses to end up on your sage!  :D

Quote from: "Google"
Mint Beetle
The mint beetle, Chrysolina menthastri is probably one of the prettiest beetles you'll come across in a British garden, but they can cause quite a bit of damage to mint plants. Despite the fact that each beetle is no bigger than ¼in. long, they have a great appetite for mint foliage. A little later in the summer you may also spot their larval stage, a blackish, squidgy-looking grub which also munches its way through the mint leaves. If you grow cultivated mints or have any wild plants nearby this little beetle will be in its element and so is often considered a pest. The theory is that you should therefore attempt control, ideally by picking off adults and young and killing them. As they are not that common, if you find any perhaps growing enough mint for the both of you would be the best answer.

xx
Can anyone identify this for me please...

Started by AndyRVTR on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 18:26
by Celery
question
Help to identify....

Started by LancashireRach on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post November 18, 2015, 12:12
by Goosegirl
clip
Identify please

Started by chillifandave on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 08:25
by chillifandave
xx
Can you Identify this?

Started by tweeky on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 18:41
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 35 queries.