What should I do with my wood ash

• 19 Replies

ihusker

« on: May 09, 2007, 00:06 »
I have a log burner which is going most days and as a result I get about half a carrier bag of wood ash every day. I have a big garden, (about an acre)  so I usually just wander around scattering it. I'm wondering if I am doing the right thing or could I be causing problems. My neighbour just put his in the dustbin, which seems a waste to me, but I am worried in case I get too much potash on the ground and what sort of problems could it give me. Any thoughts?

WG.

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 05:53 »
Potash won't be a problem, a build-up of salt is more likely.  Do you burn hardwood or softwoods?

dawninspain

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 08:36 »
We always put our ash round the roses which are supposed to like it.

Dawn

WG.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 09:03 »
Also asparagus & the onion family.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 22:43 »
I've always found that fresh wood ash burns the plants, so I pile it outside for a while to mellow before adding to the garden in fall.

mkhenry

Re: What should I do with my wood ash
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 23:17 »
Wood ash is great for an open camp site Latrine.After use you scatter it on the suface it is the best fly deterrant there is.Also I was always told to mix fresh chicken manure with wood ash to help stop it burning the plants, check this with WG.
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

WG.

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 23:28 »
Correct mkh.  Lawrence Hills even suggests spreading wood ash on the floor of the chicken shed.

mkhenry

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 23:41 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Correct mkh.  Lawrence Hills even suggests spreading wood ash on the floor of the chicken shed.

Ta WG I knew you would know,I hate posting anything unless I am totally certain it is correct :D

WG.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 23:51 »
I wouldn't worry about it.   Nothing much is black/white in the gardening world (and there is always the Edit button provided no-one has quoted you!).

mkhenry

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 00:01 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
I wouldn't worry about it.   Nothing much is black/white in the gardening world (and there is always the Edit button provided no-one has quoted you!).

Because I have been gardening for so many years and have always listened to those around me,and read and read so many books,I sometimes remember loads of facts about the same subject.When I post I have to check and recheck that the answer I give is the correct one for todays gardening climate.No good giving advice that is banned, illegal,or down right outlawed. :shock:

ihusker

Re: What should I do with my wood ash
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 01:14 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
Wood ash is great for an open camp site Latrine.After use you scatter it on the suface it is the best fly deterrant there is.Also I was always told to mix fresh chicken manure with wood ash to help stop it burning the plants, check this with WG.
Unfortunately I have a flushing toilet although it goes to a Fosse Septique somewhere so the wife wont let me dig a latrine. The wood I burn is mostly hardwood, but with a bit of conifer in as well as they are free. I haven't noticed any problems yet but I think maybe I should let it weather a bit to be on the safe side. I also scatter it on my compost heaps but I haven't been doing it long enough to notice any difference.

splodger

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 09:07 »
ash is a reasonable slug deterrant - so i surround my greens bed with ash. garlic is very fond of it too.

old ash can also be used as a mulch in the flower bed - if you have enough of it.

Annie

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 23:24 »
I have put our last lot round the garlic. In winter I pop it on the compost heap then save it as we use the fire less and mostly use it on garlic,because it was so mild this winter I didn`t save enough for the onions.
  Half a carrier bag of ash a day seems a lot to me,we have 2 log burners and get about 1 bag a week when we`re using them all day.

ihusker

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 00:28 »
Sorry I got my bags mixed up. I meant half a Tesco's disposable plastic bag. My wood burner does seem to use a lot of logs. It is one of those glass fronted jobbies with two electric fans built in to blow the heat out. I think most of the heat goes up the chimney, but there's not a lot I can do with it as it was built in to a huge granite fireplace when the house was built. I had the chimney swept and there was a slight improvement but I think it is pretty inefficient as I seem to get through about a wheelbarrow full of logs a day. I have central heating as well but its oil fired as we don't have gas here and that costs an arm and a leg to run, so I tend to use the log fire and put the heating on when necessary to top up the heat.

Annie

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 08:24 »
Does seem like a lot of logs.We`ve the same heating issues as you,no mains gas and oil-fired central heating but we`ve put in new wood burners and haven`t used the central heating this year.We`re trying to insulate as much as poss.but it`s tricky in an old house as we can`t put in double glazing and the doors have generous gaps under them.OH is sure there must be someway to `collect`the heat that zooms up the chimney.

xx
My Wood

Started by grymalkyn on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2008, 09:28
by grymalkyn
xx
Wood anemones

Started by maloneranger on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2014, 14:42
by maloneranger
xx
Wood anemones

Started by Candide on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post March 01, 2023, 16:07
by Candide
xx
Composting Wood Shavings?

Started by sando8901 on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 12:28
by Brambles

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 30 queries.