Starting up

• 20 Replies

Digger

Starting up
« on: February 05, 2006, 22:20 »
Hello

I'm new to the allotment thing and have just got myself a nice site here in Harrogate. Can anyone recommend a good book I can use as a reference 'bible'. Someone I spoke to briefly mentioned one called 'The Vegetable Patch' or 'The Vegetable Garden' or something similar (I can't quite remember), but any further help gratefully received. I could do with one that includes a 'what to do this month...' section.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Starting up
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 01:27 »
Hi Digger

There's a link to Joy Larkom's  Grow Your Own Vegetables on the books page. I really rate it but some people don't. Click the link and Amazon will show you a selection of similar books,.

My all time favourite, although a little dated (1973) is Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables  by Lawrence D. Hills but they want 22.50 for a second hand copy on Amazon. May be worth shopping around.

The Vegetable and Herb Expert   by  D.G. Hessayon is a good starting book as well.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

ladybird

books
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 08:22 »
Food from your Garden by Reader's Digest is a fantastic reference book. First published 1977 so may be out of print, I picked up a copy in a second hand shop a couple of years ago, what a find. This book explains everything from the moment you first put the spade in the ground to the plate of food on the table, It also has a growing calendar which I follow each month with top result's, If you are fortunate enough to come accross a copy grab it with both hands.  HAPPY HUNTING.
I took over an allotment  approx 2 1/2 years ago on my retirement. Although I find that time is at a premium,  I realy enjoy spending as much time as I can at the allotment..--JUDY

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
allotment book
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 21:57 »
I have "The Allotment handbook" by Caroline Foley
I like it very much it has a guide to pretty much everything you need to know about an allotment , a directory of vegetables fruit and herbs as well as lists of pests and diseases and a month by month section to help tell you what to do next! (Thats the bit thats most useful to me)
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

mark

Starting up
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 15:27 »
john i also recommend a good book dy DR.D.G HESSAYON  Vegetable Plotter it cost me 30p from the  second hand shop it a good little book for biginers like myself.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Starting up
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 15:34 »
Hi Mark,
I've got that book as well but it is out of print now, replaced with the expert series book I said above. Shame really as the idea was great.

Martin

• Experienced Member
Starting up
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 22:49 »
I noticed that there are copies of Dr Hessayon's Vegetable Expert and Vegetable Jotter books on eBay...current price £3.45 for the pair.
EBAY LINK
Martin

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Starting up
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 23:35 »
Hi Martin,
I edited your post as the long link throws the page layout. Hope you don't mind.

I expect they are older editions, but still good,
John

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Starting up
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 12:03 »
I've bought several books over the past few years at boot fairs etc, but my favorite is still my Percy Throwers week by week guide to gardening.  I bought it the first time I tried a bit of gardening about 30 years ago, but then working in London became more important, so I am only now this past 4 years getting back into gardening.  My plot grows a bit every year!  I have also just discovered the new magazine Grow Your Own, but its not often I can afford to get it being out of work at the moment.  I got February and April editions plus free seeds, but missed March.  I'll have to look on ebay and see if anyone has got fed up with their copy yet!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Starting up
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 12:39 »
Sorry to hear you're out of work,  I hated going for job interviews especially when the interviewer hadn't got a clue, just a check box.
Good luck in finding what you want soon.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Starting up
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 13:34 »
Thanks John, it is a bit of a wrench after being on £22,000 a year, but moved to Lincolnshire so other half can grow his turkeys, and after 4 years not a turkey in sight!  Should have stayed in Kent! Still had a big garden, but may still have had a job too!  Up here, there aren't many buses, so even if I could have found a decent job, there aren't the buses to take you there.  I can't drive, and it wouldn't be fair to ask Brian to take me back and forth.  Its ok if you like cutting cabbages, but the only cabbages I want to be cutting when its freezing outside is my own!!! lol  Still, I'll sort something out. Soon I hope before we run out of money completely

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Starting up
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 23:01 »
Can you not work remotely? I don't know what your skill set, but a lot of firms are using outworkers for clerical and analysis tasks. Perhaps this is not the best place for employment consulting - but good luck. Feel free to PM me.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Starting up
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 23:02 »
Can you not work remotely? I don't know what your skill set, but a lot of firms are using outworkers for clerical and analysis tasks. Perhaps this is not the best place for employment consulting - but good luck. Feel free to PM me.

tublet

Grow your own magazine
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 23:15 »
:roll: Hi,1st post but having spent a few weeks roving around this wonderful site, decided it was time I put my toe in the water.I am a new allotmenteer,took over in October,I too need to be told how,what when and where :oops: Have just discovered theres a magazine called "Grow Your own" having read one of the postings. The person in question unfortunatly has difficulty in accquiring the said mag,SOO, I went looking. At www.magazine-group.co.uk they are offering a subscrition for £32 for the year,instead of the £39 over the counter price. How about asking a kindly family member or friend for an Easter/birthday present. yours tublet
Home is where my garden is. I now have 2 homes.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Starting up
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 23:32 »
Hello tublet,

Tell us more about your allotment - is it underwater at the moment like mine?

What are your plans for this year?

Do you work for grow your own?

Incidentally, have you tried .Kitchen Garden,  I prefer it although GYO is not  bad at all

xx
What do I need for starting out?

Started by ANGEL_S on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 12:12
by woodburner
xx
Starting Out

Started by rsdavis on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 11, 2014, 15:04
by Snoop
xx
Just starting out

Started by dazza on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 13:02
by dazza
xx
Just starting out.

Started by bigginge on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 20:56
by Jay Dubya

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 34 queries.