Opinions please . . . on Heritage Seed Library

• 2 Replies

woodburner

« on: December 30, 2008, 19:07 »
I want to get seeds of heritage veg, but most are not registered, so can't be sold, at least not to the general public. Hence my interest in joining the Heritage Seed library but £20 for, in effect, 6 packets of seed is more than I can justify. :(
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 19:32 »
The price also put me off, but you can swap your seeds with other members to increase your collection.

Another way round this is to become a "Seed Guardian" and you can chose up to 3 varieties to grow and save seed from. There is no membership fee involved. You send most back, but retain some for yourself to do whatever you wish with the next year.

I did this a few years ago with 3 pea types, staring with about 30 seed of each. This year I had enough to be able to share some out with some other members of this forum and to grow two of them in particular to harvest for eating next year.

It costs only the postage to send the seed back to them.

Having said that, I will get my usual moan in about them. I documented all the growth at different stages, including taking photos, put all on a CD for them and paid over £5 to send the seed back. (My fault for choosing a heavy seed I suppose!).

I didn't even get a letter of acknowledgment from them. For all I know, they never even made it back!

You could ask on the Swap Shop & Recycle forum here if anyone has heritage seed to share.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

yewtreemob

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 21:34 »
I appreciate your comments about cost but until recently they were the only show in town.  Try www.realseeds.co.uk - they have plenty of heritage veg and the first £ of your order is for membership - thus avoiding the issues surrounding registration and current regulations.

xx
Heritage seed library

Started by Sprouts on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 12, 2011, 11:05
by crh75
xx
heritage seed library

Started by asd1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 16:04
by asd1
xx
Heritage Seed Library

Started by Asherweef on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 19, 2013, 19:21
by AnneB
question
Heritage Seed Library Question

Started by tode on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 08:09
by DD.

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 34 queries.