NET CLOCHES cost alot!!

• 6 Replies

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
NET CLOCHES cost alot!!
« on: May 22, 2008, 23:12 »
I have been trying to buy a net cloche but they seem so expensive!!!! :shock: does anyone have any tips on how to make one.

Jazzbyrd
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Trillium

NET CLOCHES cost alot!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 23:25 »
You can either find scrap wood pieces and build a square frame, or get hold of some lengths of pvc tubing and dowels that will fit the centres. Hammer some dowel lengths into the ground so that a few inches are still above the surface, and shove the pipe lengths into one side of a row, then bend them over to fit into the dowels of the row of dowels on the other side. Netting should be cheap enough to find and easy to tack down.

compostqueen

NET CLOCHES cost alot!!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 10:26 »
I made one and I'm no joiner  :D   It was lovely and worked well till it got blown over in high winds and broke  :(   So going to build Mark II made of the bits from Mark I.  You can buy the netting from Wilko etc or use mesh to keep out cabbage whites etc.

I made mine light enough to pick up and remove for weeding but it was too light and blew over easily. Shoulda pegged it down I suppose  :roll:

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
NET CLOCHES cost alot!!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 15:37 »
Get some chicken wire on Freecycle and bend it in half down the length!
We were lucky enough to be given some by an elderly neighbour who's had to give up his allotment.
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

dave

simplest net cloche
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 15:30 »
I have used a steel-pointed dibber to make pairs of vertical holes the appropriate distance apart and about 6-9 inches deep then simply stick the ends of your bit of blue plastic pipe in and presto- a neat arch.
drape with net and peg down.

takes about 5 minutes and no unnecessary expense!

robbobnbill

NET CLOCHES cost alot!!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 17:03 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
You can either find scrap wood pieces and build a square frame, or get hold of some lengths of pvc tubing and dowels that will fit the centres. Hammer some dowel lengths into the ground so that a few inches are still above the surface, and shove the pipe lengths into one side of a row, then bend them over to fit into the dowels of the row of dowels on the other side. Netting should be cheap enough to find and easy to tack down.

on this Geoff Hamilton page on the bbc website is a video showing the above method:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/today_in_your_garden/geoffhamilton_index.shtml
"A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice"  - Bill Cosby

muntjac

NET CLOCHES cost alot!!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 17:52 »
speak to the local tennis court folks or go down the docks if you live close enough and se if thiers any scrap nets about ,, ask before you remove them or you may also need a life vest :lol:
still alive /............

xx
Mini Cloches

Started by 2peasinapod on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 15:34
by gillian62
xx
Milk jug cloches........

Started by Slowgrind on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post February 20, 2010, 09:48
by Loubs
xx
Poundshop polytunnel cloches

Started by Digger Tom on Frugal Living

13 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 21:34
by Wombat18
xx
Cheap cloches at Poundland!

Started by Slowgrind on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post March 16, 2010, 16:33
by HugglescoteGrower

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 36 queries.