small pond

• 11 Replies

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
small pond
« on: May 18, 2008, 15:02 »
I have an old galvanised steel water tank - only small - and wonder if it would be alright to make a small pond. I would cover the top over with some wire mesh to keep the grandchildren out. It would be lovely to atract frogs to the plot.
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

purplebean

small pond
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 21:11 »
It would probably be fine just make sure that you have something in the pond for the frogs to climb out  they can't cope with steep sides :D

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
small pond
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 09:03 »
Thanks, PurpleBean, a stack of bricks  to one side with a nice flat stone as a platform on top should do the trick nicely. Will go and look on the beach!

lincspoacher

small pond
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 23:59 »
Snags of small ponds:

1. water evaporates very quickly, they can dry out in 3 hot days.

2. rapidly made stagnant because you need some fierce oxygenation to keep it alive.

3. if you put in enough plants to oxygenate, you can end up with no water  surface, just all plants.

You need at least to use a small pump to keep water moving to keep it oxygenated.

It very tricky to keep a small pond from turning into a stagnant puddle..........

Ruby Red

small pond
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 07:27 »
Also they can freeze to a good depth in winter. :cry:
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

compostqueen

small pond
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 10:20 »
if it's a lotty pond, or just for frogs, you don't really need to see the surface water. As long as the sides are built up a bit with stones etc or the tank is raised up so no-one falls in it.  I have a titchy lotty pond but I did try and make it about 3 foot deep.  I cleared fallen leaves out of it yesterday and I keep it topped up with water butt water - after it's rained -so it's not filthy.  Got oxy wotsit plants in it and some other small aquatics and so far it's been fine. Birds drink from it I've noticed but so far no frogs.  I have a solar fountain to go on it once I've sorted out the marginals

So yes go ahead and do it  :D

lincspoacher

small pond
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 19:48 »
frogs will find it, no problem. Waste of time sending high tech probes to Mars to find water, all you need a a small rocket with half a dozen frogs is. If theres a puddle on Mars the frogs will track it down.

You need to put frog spawn into a pond for three consecutive years. After that, the frogs that hatched from the spawn in year one will return to spawn in year 4 and you'll perpetually have frogs, unless something kills the spawn for 3 consecutive years.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
small pond
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 20:13 »
I was looking at getting one of those pre formed small ponds for the plot. Nothing big or deep cos of the kids.

Would it be happy in a shady area I have?
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

compostqueen

small pond
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 22:52 »
dunno but thought they'd prefer sun but maybe someone will come along who knows for sure.  I supposed dappled shade would be fine as long as they're not under trees cos of all the leaf fall

I was given one of those little preformed jobs at my old house and it was absolutely fine.  Just got it finished, tittivated it up round the edges, planted all the aquatics in baskets tastefully topped off with gravel, the water was clearing nicely when my Jack Russell chased his football into it  :roll:    :lol:

Ruby Red

small pond
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 09:22 »
Quote from: "Snap Dragon"
I was looking at getting one of those pre formed small ponds for the plot. Nothing big or deep cos of the kids.

Would it be happy in a shady area I have?

Someone on here mentioned that BandQ have liner for £15. It makes for easier digging as it fits whatever hole you dig. With a preformed jobby the hole has to be spot on really. Plus it makes it look more natural. Ideally it should have SOME sun for the plants to grow best. But its great youre thinking of one anyway. We didnt start with newts but we got loads from somewhere. They just appeared. We have the usual frogs, toads newts  and dragonflies. 10 years ago we bought 6 native fish (not goldfish)I think they were golden tench , we only fed them for 2 years but they obviously find enough to eat because they are still there. I love my pond as you can tell, and I may be tempting fate but NONE of my veggies have been nibbled. As a last thing if you are having one , make it as big as you can. Its well worth it. Ours is 7ft by 13 ft and we wished we had made it bigger.  :D

compostqueen

small pond
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 11:02 »
yeah but she's got a small tank she wants to use  :D

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
small pond
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 23:36 »
I`ve had a small pond for a few years, 4 foot x 5 foot, and it attracted frogs straight away. I originally  just wanted to put a few plants in it , and maybe a couple of fish, and with a small pump to listen to the fountain on a hot summers day.

I got 2 fish for it, and they had been doing well up untill March....both dead now for some reason. I have no idea what killed them, I havent changed anything, but they where just floating on the top one morning, on seperate days though.

My...sorry <cough> my kids tiny veg patch is right next to the pond, and not one of their seedlings has been touched by slugs or snails, so far anyway.

xx
Plants for a small pond

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2018, 18:47
by robinahood
xx
Small garden pond refurbished.

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2019, 13:31
by Kleftiwallah
xx
HELP, pond pump drained my pond

Started by Clarky86 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2019, 08:04
by JayG
xx
New Pond

Started by Eblana on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 16:34
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 36 queries.