Yet another newbie!

• 9 Replies

Angelah

• Experienced Member
Yet another newbie!
« on: April 05, 2006, 13:22 »
It seems allotments are now all the rage doesn't it. Apparently demand for our local allotments has soared recently.

I got the keys, nearly a month ago now, but am sooo frustrated as I haven't managed to get there yet. Why are all young children ill all the time, one after each other?! My thoughts on having an allotment were long term - I knew with two small children time available for the allotment was going to be limited for a while, but I had thought I'd have made a start by now! Discovering this site has been great - my inlaws think I am completely mad and are sure I won't manage it - all the more reason for me to get going!!!

My plot hasn't been worked for a couple of years so has all the usual grassy weeds to clear, the council is clearing brambles. I am going to clear it bit by bit as that seems the best way to go, and to cover some of the rest with polythene. I have just been reading that some plants can be planted through the polythene, before you've actually cleared the ground underneath. Does this actually work? What plants might work best? This would be great as I could start clearing, but also start using other areas not technically cleared.

Sitting here with the sun blazing down, I'm determined to try and get something done soon, though might not be until the weekend, weather and children permitting!!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Yet another newbie!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 17:02 »
Just bury the kids under a fruit tree :)

Only problem with planting through a polythene sheet is getting water to the plant - so keep that in mind.

As for the inlaws - tell them you are mad and need some quiet time, then dump the kids on them for the day - that'll cure 'em.

I love other peoples children - they go away at the end of the day.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Jake

• Rockers
Yet another newbie!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 17:27 »
My boss's reaction to the news I got an allotment

What? Growing your own food, growing your own food now HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......Hey Phil, guess what, Jakes gone all back to nature, what next, pigs cows and sheep?

I think well......yes I'd quite like that. Best keep it to myself.

I quite like being seen as excentric though, my family think its great, going back in time sort of thing. Having said that there's loads of holders my age (30ish).

Good luck with finding the time.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Yet another newbie!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 18:06 »
I think my husband's boss's reaction is secretly thinking... free food, wahey!  :lol: I'm 24 and he's 28 so we're fairly young plotholders... although there seems to be a plot owned by a bunch of teenagers. I was slightly shocked that day, they're so noisy, we weren't sure what to make of them but they seemed to actually be working hard so we figured they weren't tresspassers :lol:

Don't get too antsy.. check the weather report. At least here in North London, we've been getting to 0C at night  :shock: while it's quite nice 10 or more during the day. Had to cover up my daikon radish seedlings and rhubarb on Monday during the day. What's worse is it looks set to be like that every night/day as far as I can tell  :?
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

cede

Yet another newbie!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 09:13 »
angelah welcome to the site and get the kids involved down the lottie - i have 5 and the oldest is 8!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Yet another newbie!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 15:00 »
You're a glutton for punishment Cede, 2 was more than enough for me!!!!

tublet

from one newbie to another
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 22:37 »
:roll: Hi welcome.
I got my plot in October and i`m considered a little mad too, and I have 2 children, an active 7yr boy and a 12yr girl. He was great to take down when i had a lot of positve destrution to do, but can only keep him occupied for about an hour now. Little and often in his case. Together we have planted sunflowers and veg. His nan bought him some tools available at most garden centres that are his size and he does use them. He will be more interested when the harvesting starts to happen, he can`t quite see the point yet. My 12yr has cleaned and smartened the shed with her grandad, has her own patch and is growing the flower seeds to go in. The couple in the plot nextdoor but one, have 2 small children, their going to put up a swing,slide and sandpit etc at the end of their plot to keep the girls occupied. But best thing is to take time out as suggested above I love  it. Good luck with your clearing. Get something growing it`ll give you hope. Tublet.x.x.
Home is where my garden is. I now have 2 homes.

Angelah

• Experienced Member
Yet another newbie!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 22:02 »
Thanks for the replies. We actually got to the plot at the weekend! Have laid out some black polythene and also started clearing. We only managed to dig over a small area, but it's a start.

Benjamin (3) was better than I expected, he wandered round, digging a bit and collecting worms! The plot is in the corner and the plot next to it is completely overgrown, so he didn't wander far. William (baby) sat and watched the goings on from his pushchair - with a couple of toys to help.

After about 40 minutes we'd all done enough so went to the park - just the other side of the fence! It was a lovely way to spend the evening, mind you it was a glorious evening!

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
Yet another newbie!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 22:38 »
My youngest is 11 and she has really become interested in whats growing. She has planted a giant pumpkin seed in a pot in the house and is determined to make it grow as big as the picture on the packet. My eldest has decided to grow a melon! No idea if thats going to work!

To try and keep the interest we have bought some different sorts of veg seeds - red carrots, purple sprouts etc.

My  youngest is quite interested to see the types of seeds as we sow them, you know tiny round seeds that will eventually be cabbages, flat light ones that will become parsnips.  Mind you she is very impatient and wants then growing double quick!

Why dont you get your lot down to the seed shop and pick out a couple of things they want to grow. It seems to have worked for my lot
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Yet another newbie!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 23:25 »
Kids tend to want things to happen now. I mean NOW!!
Cress seeds (that old school favourite from when I used to scrawl on my slate in Latin) show them how a seed grows really well.
Radish are very quick as well
Biggest thing with little ones is not to let them helpfully weed your seedlings.

xx
Newbie trying to help a newbie

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 22:03
by Thephoenix572
xx
Newbie-

Started by monkey24502 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 16, 2021, 13:57
by monkey24502
smiley
Another newbie, hello all

Started by Bonbon on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 02:48
by Henerz
xx
newbie...

Started by paul veg on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 22:41
by paul veg

Page created in 0.489 seconds with 32 queries.