Planning out the plot

• 7 Replies

rjdiscombe

Planning out the plot
« on: April 01, 2006, 11:30 »
Hi

I am also new to having my own allotment. After many years of waiting the parish council have decided there is sufficient interest to convert an exisiting field that it owns to allotments.

The bad news is that a lot of work has to take place, such as ploughing up the existing grass and erecting a rabbot-proof fence.

A good aspect of not taking over an existing plot is that I start with a blank "canvas". I plan to have raised beds that I will rotate. I am also planning to have permanent areas, such as an asparagus bed, rhubarb, gooseberries and possibly other soft fruit. My main questions is should I put the permanent areas between the rotating beds or is it better to have two distinct areas? I thought the latter might be better as I could put netting up if the bird proved a problem for the soft fruit.

As a newbie I would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks
Roger

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Planning out the plot
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 19:41 »
Hi and Welcome!
If I was you, I'd keep all the fruit together because you can build a cage to keep the birds off.

Also, why deep beds?  I know they're popular, but I'm not convinced they're the best solution for all crops / soil types. Just curious.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Grahame

Planning out the plot
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 08:18 »
Me too. I have recently taken a plot which was cleared and rotovated by the council. I am setting out some fairly low (4") raised beds, mostly 8x4 but some 16x4. Once they are filled I find it easier to work the soil and water and my young kids don't walk on them!!!

I have decided upon a rotation system roots/brassicas/others as usual and I am putting pear trees and soft fruit together but will still have space  to have a go with other bits and pieces during the season:?
Grahame Cardiff

rjdiscombe

Planning out the plot
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 22:37 »
John

Thanks for your reply.

To answer your query "why deep beds"? Reading around, it seemed a good idea as this approach did not require digging the plot every autumn, especially as the soil is heavy.

Roger

Victoria Plum

ploughing - the aftermath
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 15:46 »
I have just taken on a plot which was ploughed last week. As it's quite a lot to tackle in one go (22m x 10m :?: ) I was planning to cover over half of it to try and keep the weeds down as much as possible. I had assumed that cheap black polythene would be readily available. It is available but not very cheaply.

The turf was not removed prior to ploughing and the plot has not been worked for years so theres lots of nasties now well distributed throughout.

Any ideas?
Gone Diggin'

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Planning out the plot
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 16:08 »
You know I'm not so sure you have lots of nasties - surely just the natural balance. Not every bug is a problem!

Try sowing a green manure on half the plot - that will suppress weeds and give you a compost mine.

You will find that you have less room than you think when you get sowing and you'll be wondering how to fit it all in!

Victoria Plum

green manure
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 16:38 »
Thanks for that

I could plant a green manure as the plot is now then? If I understand the concept of green manure, I then dig this into the plot. So, weeds supressed for a while, just the couch roots to get out?

Marvelous!

Have just found the thread in the off-topic bit with a link to the Garden Organic. Have had more luck sourcing cheaper polythene through agricultural suppliers and asking for silage sheet.

Thanks for your help! :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Planning out the plot
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 18:40 »
Well a bit of heresy here.. John hopes the organic taliban don't get him!

If you've patches of couch grass you could always use a bit of glyphosate.  I'm keen on doing things organically if possible but sometimes it is so much easier to step over to the dark side!

I am very sparing with herbicides and don't use pesticides at all but I do sometimes use urea or sulphate of ammonia to encourage a compost heap.

I think getting masses of couch out is such a huge task and there must be better things to do.

Agricultural mustard is very good as a green manure. Quick and dense cover plus not to hard to dig in. I cut the top half off for the bin and dig the rest in.

After all, what is worse for the ecology? A small amount of weedkiller or a mass of polythene.  Especially as the polythene tends to end up as a mass of torn bits in a year.

xx
re planning my plot ..

Started by jenny53 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 15:00
by TerryB
xx
Plot planning

Started by Bob after on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 20:00
by ThatsNice
xx
Planning the plot

Started by Little Dibber on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 12:42
by flowerlady
xx
Planning my plot

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2008, 21:58
by Earl Grey

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 35 queries.