Cavolo nero

• 11 Replies

jambop

Cavolo nero
« on: November 26, 2018, 17:07 »

Hi I was on holiday in Italy earlier in the year and bought some seeds of Cavolo nero. I have never grown it before but I sowed it as I would my other brassicas and thinned the seedlings out into pots which I then planted out mid October. I got the spacing wrong seems they should be at 20cm spacing mine are double that so I don't think that will be a problem. I am wondering about the eventual size of the leaves of the plant and how you harvest them. Do you treat them as a cut and come again type of plant removing a few leaves from each plant to make a harvest. In any case they are too small at the moment they are only about 15cm high and only a few such leaves on each plant. I am eager to try this stuff but seems like I may have to wait a while yet looks like a plant that you plant out in the autumn and they are ready in the spring?

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Cavolo nero
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 17:30 »
Later planted ones will grow very slowly over the winter, so yes you should be able to start harvesting in the spring. You are right about picking the odd few leaves at a time off each plant.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 20:39 »
April, May and June are the perfect time to sow Cavolo Nero. I sow seeds in April for early winter and then again in June for a crop that lasts until the next spring. I start the seeds off in 10cm pots of multipurpose compost and plant out when the seedlings reach about 25cm in height. Plant the Cavolo Nero about 50cm between apart, as they can grow upwards of a metre tall, and harvest when the leaves reach 15cm long. 
https://www.sarahraven.com/articles/how_to_grow_cavolo_nero.htm

jambop

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 08:36 »
Wow mum I am glad I set mine out 40cm apart now! The seed packet said 20cm and I , thankfully miss read and doubled it  :D but I have to say looking at the plant as the are now it is hard to believe they will make a metre high. We usually have a very mild winter so they may well come early the seed packet did say for our region the sowing time was around September and I sowed just a little later but in a poly tunnel so they have had a good start and the early autumn has been warm for the best part... hope springs eternal  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 13:20 »
We grow a few every year and tbh four plants is more than enough to keep us well supplied with leaves in the Spring. Don't be dismayed by their short size now.... our plants are 35-40 cm at the moment and will easily double that by the end of March.

They do send out flowering shoots too, a bit like skinny broccolis, cut before they flower, so don't pull them up too soon!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 14:09 »
I've seen these on some recent TV cookery programmes and was thinking about trying them next year. Can you also use the flowering shoots like broccoli?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 15:25 »
I've seen these on some recent TV cookery programmes and was thinking about trying them next year. Can you also use the flowering shoots like broccoli?

Yes you can.. they are very thin and cook quickly

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 16:14 »
We also add young leaves to salads.

jambop

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 21:11 »
We grow a few every year and tbh four plants is more than enough to keep us well supplied with leaves in the Spring. Don't be dismayed by their short size now.... our plants are 35-40 cm at the moment and will easily double that by the end of March.

They do send out flowering shoots too, a bit like skinny broccolis, cut before they flower, so don't pull them up too soon!

Well I would appear to have gone just a bit over the top with two rows consisting of about 15 plants per row ! If it cooks anything like spinach though we will get through quite a lot. We use spinach in some of our pasta dishes and also in curries so we may try some of the Cavolo nero cooked in the same way... not to forget soup.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 10:19 »
This type of recipe uses up a lot as you blend it.  It all hangs on using good olive oil, but it is one of those dishes that seems to be more than the sum of its parts and is a real treat  :)

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/world-s-most-elegant-winter-pasta/

AnneB

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 22:43 »
My favourite cavolo nero recipe is as follows:

Wash and trim to remove central core.

Boil for 4-5 minutes in salted water, then drain and ensure it is completely dry.

Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 clove of garlic, thinly sliced.  When brown, add a heaped teaspoon of fennel seeds and stir.

Very simple and delicious.

Add the boiled cavolo nero, stir and heat until warmed through.

MarkC

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 21:46 »
Another cavolo nero recipe....braised with pomegranate and mint pesto.

Make some mint pesto from fresh mint leaves (a handful, not stalks), toasted flaked almonds, zest from half a lemon and a half clove of garlic - put into a food processor and whizz to a fine texture then add some good olive oil slowly and run the blender slowly. Remove to a bowl, add a good squeeze of lemon juice and a little salt and pepper.

Braise some cavolo nero in a little water or vegetable stock (cube is fine) for about 10-15 minutes. Drain, stir in the pesto and a small tub of pomegranate seeds (100g). Drizzle with olive oil and a little freshly ground black pepper.

Good side dish and a bit more interesting way to serve it.

xx
Cavolo Nero

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 14, 2008, 18:15
by yummy
xx
Kale: Cavolo Nero

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 22:15
by Judd
xx
How to keep white fly off my cavolo nero please???

13 Replies
Last post October 11, 2008, 13:17
by yummy
xx
cavolo nero - gone to seed?

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 20:57
by yummy

Page created in 0.484 seconds with 48 queries.