Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

• 7 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
« on: November 17, 2018, 15:49 »
 Anyone any experience of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome which leaves you with a weak grip and total numbness in the thumb, forefinger and middle finger of the affected hand?  Simple tasks like fastening shirt buttons can be a real pain. I've had this for nearly a year and just assumed it was an untreatable symptom of getting on in age. I mentioned it to my GP during my annual check-up and after a visit to Musculo-skeletal Dept at hospital, I'm now booked into local hospital for an operation to cure it, mid January. I'm told by the practice nurse there that it's just a simple op and I'll be in and out in a couple of hours but will have to keep my hand in a sling for a few days afterwards.
Is it really that straightforward?

mrs bouquet

Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 16:27 »
Yes it is.  My husband had his done and he had a cyst there as well. My Daughter had it in both hands, and had them both done together,
You are very lucky with your waiting times.  I have had mine for many years, and have it regularly injected, have now been waiting for that for 6 weeks.  Told them I want it done now, February 26th to see the MATT team.
I have been using a splint for the last four weeks, and it has made no difference at all !  However, I think there may be something else going on in there as well.  So Tuesday, I am going to A and E, and I shall sit there for as long as it takes.  Probably be home  about 24 hours later  :D
So good luck and get it done at the first chance.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 17:35 »
Tuesday 15th January is the date. I'll give you my feedback after that

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 18:21 »
I was struck down with Guillain-Barre syndrome ten weeks ago that completely stopped me in my tracks I visited the local surgery 4 times without it being diagnosed as it got progressively worse attacking the use of my fingers the spreading to my feet and creeping up my legs I couldn't stand it anymore I called 111 and was asked to go to hospital asap I was seen by a doctor and sent to A&E then sent to hospital ward

after several days I was put in the E.A.U. for treatment and was on a drip for 5 days eventually things improved after about two weeks and I was sent home still very shaken unable to do most things including gardening and although things have very much improved I'm still left that I can't do to much as I seem to get tiered I was very thankful to all the at the hospital for there help getting me back on my feet again  o forgot I had drop foot with this thing to I really wish you luck with your treatment that I hope goes well for you

Christine

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 08:24 »
Carpel tunnel has something to do with the activities you get up to I think. I had it when working on a factory line using a staple gun all day. A supervisor at another work place found that it was typing that started hers off.

Elaine G

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 21:44 »
Just in case it is relevant to anyone here, carpal tunnel can also be a side effect of underactive  thyroid.
Fortunately discovered before I asked for referral for surgery!

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 23:18 »
I had it in my late teens due to practising on my bass guitar for 4 hours a day+ with the bass slung down low, meaning I had my wrist bent permanently whilst playing. Learnt my lesson and now play with it nice and high. I may not look rock anymore but it sure beats CPS ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 13:58 »
I developed this in my left hand for some reason in mid 20s. No idea why (I am right handed). So painful it used to wake me up at night

The op was very straightforward indeed and symptoms have never returned.

PS It was JPR Williams of Welsh rugby fame who did the op... made me smile to hold hands with him at the time, I can tell you  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Carpal Tunnel

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post December 17, 2019, 08:58
by New shoot
xx
Carpal Tunnel Op Practicing !!

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post November 19, 2021, 12:50
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Carpal tunnel operation

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post December 18, 2018, 13:55
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Carpal tunnel operation

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post November 18, 2020, 10:33
by AlaninCarlisle

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 34 queries.