Changing Weather

• 8 Replies

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
Changing Weather
« on: September 25, 2018, 08:35 »
On the back of another unusual year for the weather, very cold and wet early on then hot and dry into what looks like October. Should we be change how and what we grow?

Having been asked if I will do anything different next year based on the long term forecast being another hot summer, I am struggling to think what to do other than spreading sowing and protecting early crops more.

Anyone have any thoughts on what we can do different and are there new crops we could be considering?

al78

Re: Changing Weather
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 08:57 »
How do you change exactly? In the last 15 years we have had one of the wettest summers on record (2012) and one of the driest summers on record (2018). We have had one of the coldest starts to Spring on record (2013) a year after one of the warmest (2012). We  have had months of persistent below average rainfall (2010-early 2012), followed by the wettest April to June on record (2012), and persistent dull cloudy weather (August 2017-April 2018). We had the coldest December for 100 years in 2010, and one of the mildest asnd wettest in 2015.  It is becoming a distinct possibility that the above are a manifestation of a changing climate, and that the UK is losing some of its variable climate, and experiencing more blocked weather patterns with persistant weather types for weeks, or even months (linked to Arctic sea ice loss and weakening of the jet stream). It is difficult to see how you can grow things that can cope with all the extremes of our climate, since crops that tolerate drought will probably suffer in soaking wet conditions, and crops that like heat will probably be killed in a late spring cold spell. I think the answer is to try and manage the microclimate around your crops, so fleecing in unusual cold, have good drainage in the soil in preparation for wet spells, grow crops sensitive to bolting in the shade of taller crops during the middle of the day, and accept that if we get significant deviations from the norm, some losses or poor harvests are inevitable, and be grateful you are not a subsistence farmer and can go get food from the supermarket if you suffer a crop failure.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 09:15 »
Our weather has always been changeable, and hot years, rainy years and cold winters and late springs are nothing new IMO. I just accept that every year is different, although obviously I still moan about that  ::)
My answer is to try and grow lots of varieties, in the hope at least some of them will survive whatever the weather throws at us.
Plus I'm still making up my mind whether to invest in a decent polytunnel, which are quite expensive - as the cheapos really don't stand up to the wind here.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 14:58 »
It's impossible to predict the weather from year to year so I'd just keep growing what you usually do.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 08:01 »
al78 has given a great summary here. As Forrest Gump said, "Life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get". Next year might be 'normal' or might be extreme in some ways, as is always the way in this game, there are going to be some huge disappointments amid roaring successes. I suppose we just have to plan for normal and confront any extreme weather as we get it.

My problem is clay-rich heavy moisture retentive soil which whem walked on after 2 days of rain on Sunday, was spongey and left puddles. This spells trouble for much of what Im planning for next year but if things fail, it's simply back to the drawing board for the year after.

The forecasters can seldom get the prediction right for the next few days never mind the following year, so I'm just going to blindly plant and sow, and take it on the chin if the weather messes it up. I'd rather lose veg to weather rather than poor technique!

al78

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 08:43 »
The forecasters can seldom get the prediction right for the next few days...

This really isn't true. Forecasts out to three days are very accurate, and out to five days get less accureate but still have useful skill. Perception does not equal reality, and just because occasionally the forecasts says " light scattered showers" and you are unlucky enough to get wet does not make forecasts inaccurate. Forecast accuracy has to be assessed over a lot of forecasts, anecdote means nothing.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 08:52 »
How can you change that perception when on Monday morning they forecast rain for Tuesday (not showers which might miss you) but by the small hours of Tuesday they remove the rain from the forecast completely? They've often done that this year, as has been noted by myself and others on the weather thread  ::)

You may think that forecasts are reliable, I simply choose not to agree with you..

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 09:10 »
Perhaps the coastal location and lay of the land of Eastbourne makes for a tough forecast, I'm no expert, but often a dry day is forecast only for it to rain all day and vice versa. It doesn't help when 4 different sources give 4 different forecasts, and not one of those are continuously reliable. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 09:36 »
When I lived in Hastings it used to be said that if you can see Eastbourne clearly it means it will soon rain, and if you can't it's probably already raining! (Number 5 on the list of useless forecasts!)

Unusual climate conditions can be a challenge, but only one of many - I just do my best and accept that some things will perform better than others in any given year (fruit and veg growing is not an ideal hobby for perfectionists!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Changing Seasons

Started by Fisherman on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post November 06, 2013, 19:18
by Fisherman
xx
Changing compost?

Started by oharabe on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 05, 2012, 18:38
by yorky
xx
The changing face of my allotment

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 08:01
by Doc
xx
Tomato leaves changing colour

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2012, 20:25
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 45 queries.