Cabbage Fantastiche...

• 4 Replies

Growster...

Cabbage Fantastiche...
« on: August 22, 2018, 18:55 »
Quite a few years ago, Mrs Growster and I spent a few weeks in the US, touring Virginia and other localities.

On one occasion, we stayed in a delightful hotel, named The Hessians Lodge - after some group who did a bit of good here and there back in the darker ages. They didn't have a restaurant, but there was a German establishment a few yards away, and well recommended it was too!

It was a fabulous dinner, with superb wines etc, but the star of the evening was - the cabbage!

It was served with some reverence, and it was just soooooo good! We asked the waiter and anyone else around what made it so good, but they all smiled and said - er no, it's a secret recipe!

So we never did find out! It was a white cabbage, thinly sliced, hot - of course, but with a tang and a flavour which was divine! And we have never discovered what made it so good! It must have been some sort of variation on sauerkraut, but even that seems to have drawn a blank...

Can anyone put us out of our misery please, and ask any questions you like, because a story from 1996 deserves an answer after all this time!

(I've got an awful feeling that I have asked this before, so please forgive an ageing Growster, who is re-living all his holidays with the fragrant Mrs Growster at a time when we haven't actually been away from The Turrets for twelve years, and still enjoy reminiscing on the good hols, so we must have got something right once in a while)!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 18:56 by Growster... »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Cabbage Fantastiche...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 08:55 »
My bet would be sauerkraut Mr G.  The basic recipe is cabbage, salt and some elbow grease, but the variations are pretty endless.

What have you tried?  Homemade is totally different to anything you can buy.  I've only made a few small batches, but the latest one is lemon and black pepper.  The addition of some lemon juice has been a revelation.  Different again to anything else I have made and my new favourite  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 14:47 »
My bet would be sauerkraut Mr G.  The basic recipe is cabbage, salt and some elbow grease, but the variations are pretty endless.

What have you tried?  Homemade is totally different to anything you can buy.  I've only made a few small batches, but the latest one is lemon and black pepper.  The addition of some lemon juice has been a revelation.  Different again to anything else I have made and my new favourite  :D

I have had some poor experiences of sauerkraut, but that does sounds quite enticing!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 19:45 »

That could well be the answer News, as there was definitely a citrus flavour around!

Looking at websites to see how sauerkraut is made, it is a new experience, and very interesting!

I think you've touched a nerve here...

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 19:47 »
Sunny, News may have clicked the right button, so I'll have to entice Mrs Growster...

(Always a pleasurable experience of course ;0)

xx
How much can you do with 1 cabbage?

Started by Mosslane on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 09:33
by Mosslane
xx
What can I do with red cabbage?

Started by Oliveview on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

19 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 07:56
by Oliveview
xx
red cabbage

Started by flowergirl on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 17, 2007, 20:19
by gobs
xx
Red Cabbage?!

Started by Lewjam on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 07:15
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 36 queries.