Raspberries

• 2 Replies

Jes Gloucester

Raspberries
« on: August 16, 2018, 19:43 »
I planted six autumn fruiting raspberry canes(Polka) in my new fruit cage last year. I had read they would not need support , last year they didn't but this year they've turned into giants growing up to the top of the cage or falling over, should I provide support for them next year and what sort?

Also it looks like they sent out runners, should I remove them back to the main plant.

I chose autumn fruiting to follow on from the strawberries which share the same fruit cage as I didn't want to spend the summer making Jan!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 20:33 »
T&M says
Height: 150cm (59").
so they aren't a short variety. If my rasps get too untidy I knock in some posts/thick canes and put a string line around the perimeter. It's usually enough to keep them upright.

In winter you have to cut all the fruited canes down to soil level, and new growth will grow from the spreading roots, so unless the suckers are growing too far away/in the path then leave them alone to grow next year.  :)

Salmo

Re: Raspberries
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 21:38 »
I have the same problem with Joan J. I support them as T&M say but with wire. Last year one wire OK. This year I needed two. Hot conditions made them grow tall but the crop is superb. Big fruit and plenty of them.

xx
Raspberries!!

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 22:28
by Bombers
xx
Raspberries ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2007, 13:39
by wellingtons
xx
Raspberries

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 17, 2014, 19:14
by blood
xx
Raspberries

Started by sanuka on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 18:43
by DD.

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 36 queries.