Id suggest not getting old..

• 13 Replies

Lardman

Id suggest not getting old..
« on: July 31, 2018, 21:26 »
I've just put my logs for Mother Lards care taken from the CCTV into a spreadsheet because it has to be seen to be believed.  :mad: These are supposed to be 30 minute calls.

Shocking Stats.JPG

snowdrops

Re: Id suggest not getting old..
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 21:46 »
I think I’d be wanting a refund & id be putting a complaint in & writing to high up in the council/social care
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 22:19 »
I think I’d be wanting a refund & id be putting a complaint in & writing to high up in the council/social care
I think I would be making a bit of a fuss too, especially as you have proof.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 07:01 »
Complaints have already been filed - they're simply being ignored.  The care is part of a stepdown package arrange by social services after her last hospital visit, otherwise Id have sacked them the day they dropped her.

Unfortunately you have to allow them time to do nothing before you can say they're doing nothing ... so stupid.  Those with good memories will remember I've already taken complaints about both social services and the last care company they appointed all the way to the LGO and had them upheld - it took two years.  You have to wonder if that's why nobody at social services will take my calls  :mad:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:48 by Lardman »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 14:59 »
It's very grim,  and totally exhausting for you, regards Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 14:09 »
I'm sure everyone else on here thinks the same thing. This is absolutely disgraceful and cannot be allowed to continue. I'm afraid I have no knowledge about social care so if my suggestions are a bit naïve please forgive me.
I'd arm myself with all the info you have, forget the numpties, and go to:-
Your local counsellor.
Your local MP.
Your local newspaper.
Contact Victoria Derbyshire via the BBC as she has various personal and social issues which are aired on the daytime BBC News channel.
If people don't speak out loud about the various difficulties they experience with poor social care, then it'll just get shoved under the carpet. I really hope you can get this sorted out.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

al78

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 23:07 »
This may be an issue of not enough resources, so the only way they can see everyone under their care is to reduce the times of individual visits. Unfortunately with an ever increasing population of vulnerable elderly people and a population with an aversion to paying tax to fund social services, I can't see this being solved in the near future. It probably won't help that the number of immigrants from the EU who tend to take on the hard low paid jobs like this will now be knocked right down thanks to brexit.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 07:59 »
This may be an issue of not enough resources, so the only way they can see everyone under their care is to reduce the times of individual visits. Unfortunately with an ever increasing population of vulnerable elderly people and a population with an aversion to paying tax to fund social services, I can't see this being solved in the near future. It probably won't help that the number of immigrants from the EU who tend to take on the hard low paid jobs like this will now be knocked right down thanks to brexit.
IMO there is absolutely no excuse for not looking after the vulnerable of our society. Also if you have a contract that says you will deal with person A for half an hour in the morning  then person A should get that.

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 08:03 »
This may be an issue of not enough resources, so the only way they can see everyone under their care is to reduce the times of individual visits.

Home care is now largely (and is in this case) bought by the council from third party providers. ML's council have booked 2 hours of care per day for her, the care company has been paid for 2 hours a day regardless of actual time spent with her.

There are only 2 possible scenarios with ML's care. The care provider has knowingly oversold it's services and can't provide the time they have been paid for or the attending care staff are shortening the calls to reduce their shift length.

Having made some enquires the care workers shifts contain a number of visits not working hours, their pay is the same for a 1 minute visit as it is for a 30 minute one, once the required visits are made they are free to finish.

Much as I love to moan about the system, it's not at fault here - it's a staffing problem.

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 11:54 »
Did you say you'd contacted the council? Have you actually gone there and spoken to someone in authority that they're being ripped off? Could you attend a local council committee meeting and or/ get it put on their agenda?

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 14:53 »
Oh what a surprise.

Meeting with Social worker yesterday.... Explain the problems, showed the log files etc. everyone agrees its terrible.

This morning I get a call - We have "concerns" we need another meeting with Mother Lard in a weeks time on her own - you can't be there.

Won't tell me what concerns, who raised the concerns or why I can't be there....  Just stone-walled "I can't discuss that with you" .  I've asked for it in writing, I learnt my lesson about phone calls last time  if they give it me it's going straight to Mother Lards local MP.

Be warned - that's what happens when you take your council to the LGO and win.

Slightly furious.  :mad:

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 19:00 »
Are they saying just you can’t be there or anybody? I don’t think they can really insist there is no one there to support her, I can understand them saying you cannot be there in certain situations, say if there was concerns re your care of her, but in this situation where you are complaining about their care I think you could argue that you most definitely need to be there. Is ML mentally ok & able to hold her own? Does she agree they short change her time wise? Or is she likely to be swayed if they try to bamboozle her? Have you done a Lasting power of Attorney for her? If so it might be worth contacting your solicitor & see where you stand.

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 19:40 »
Social workers words exactly "on her own". 

The meeting yesterday was with the social worker, ML and myself at ML's house. I could understand it if she had just met me and not checked the facts with ML yesterday. All I asked them to do was find a more appropriate, reliable care service for ML as I'd tried previously and failed- I'm even going to be paying for it ! I'd have let the problems with this lot go and moved on.

Ml is about average for an 80 year old with Parkinson's... she just wants her dignity back.  She wont be brow beaten but she's not as sharp as she was. Given the problems last time I don't trust the social workers to be accurate with their recollection anyway ! It's all on CCTV and I've told them they're welcome to copies if they want to check my maths.

Whatever happens I'm stuck with the same company for at least another week, they didn't bother to show up last Sunday morning again and were late for last night tea call.  :mad:

I have LPA for ML, legally they can take a hike.

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 13:03 »
In essence, you are her carer and must be with her in order to carry out your duty of care. I wouldn't hesitate to have a meeting A.S.A.P. with your local MP along with copies of all your docs, CCTV, and whatever else you have. In these sort of situations everything has to be in writing, so if they haven't done that then that's another string to your bow as it were. If you don't arrange one today GG will bite your bum very hard! Sorry, but this sort of thing really gets my back up big time especially when you're doing everything you can for your mum's welfare.  >:(

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 48 queries.