Growing > General Gardening

A clear pond!

(1/1)

Kleftiwallah:

I know it's not gardening in the strickest sense but as "Wild about Britain" foum is permanently offsite, I hope I'll get a bit of knowledge from the gardeners.

We have a small pond (made from a white plastic corner bath), each year we have loads of tadploles in there but just to help their developement I've been areating the pond with a pump and over the weeks of running it in the daytime the water in the pond has become very clear.

I may be daft in asking, but is this a good thing?

Cheers,  Tony.

Goosegirl:
Aerating water should be good for most pond life although frogs do like getting into places with still water.

JayG:
Does the pump just aerate the water or has it got a filter built in?

Are there any pond plants?

Clear water is better than something resembling pea soup, but then again algae provide the food for some pond inhabitants.

Assuming the tadpoles have gone now, I'd be inclined to return the pond to stillness and see what happens.

Kleftiwallah:
Sorry about the delay in replying, I forgot which page I posted it to! :)

Just a few strands of water plant, loads of 'leaf mould in the base.  Aerated by a pump spashing into the pool.

Is it catenary or parabola? ? ?

Cheers,  Tony.

sunshineband:
Sorry Kleftiwallah, I didn't see your first post.

Clear water is excellent as it shows there is a balance of nutrients, helped by the plants. One thing to bear in mind is that your froglets will need to be able to get out of the water or they will drown, so some means of giving them a ramp to get up onto the pond bank would give them a chance, plus some ground cover so they don't either dry up or immediately be eaten by birds etc.
With a bath it is difficult to make a "beach" but logs partially in the water, or large stones on the corner seat of the bath and around that area would help. (you might have done this already of course!)

The bath is large enough to take a small water lily or something like a native water hawthorn, that would shade the waterand give beasties some cover

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version