Tomato leaves wilting

• 17 Replies

upert

• Experienced Member
Tomato leaves wilting
« on: June 30, 2018, 15:58 »
I've had a look through the articles and a brief search of the forums yet I haven't found why some of my tomato plants are wilting. I suspect it's water or heat. Yet I water once each day or two and the compost is still moist when I investigated today. Could it be fusarium or verticillium wilt?

I use 30 and 10 litre pots and have used my own compost topped up with multipurpose. It's some of the plants in the smaller containers that have wilted.

One tomato plant in a large container has leaf curl so it has got very hot in there at some point. I have left the door open during the day at times and the window is open day and night.

I remove a lot of the lower leaves to encourage air flow. Also, I started with canes yet when the plants outgrew them I strung them to the top frame of the greenhouse. Now here I know I've done wrong as I simply connected the string to the tops of the plants, and not at the base and twisted around the plant as John suggests. The string isn't actually dragging the plants out of the pots though.

It's an 8 foot by 6 foot greenhouse and there's 9 thirty litre pots and about  15 10 litre pots. Too crowded but I don't like to give up on a nicely growing plant if I can help it.

dayxday

Re: Tomato leaves wilting
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 18:36 »
Vine weevil at the roots?    :unsure:  Could you tip one of the small pots out to check?

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 19:25 »
I think if you’re having the heatwave we are it’s just uptake of water, a 10 litre pot doesn’t sound very big, I grow mine in supermarket flower buckets with the bottom cut out,it then stands in compost in a reusable grow bag that I put 3 or 4 inches of the same compost in, I’ve got 3 pots to a bag, which is then on a growbags drip tray. I’m watering 2 & 3 Times a day in this heat, if that’s any help to you. As for your strings, I’d redo them tying them to the canes you put in first & then w8nding the tomatoes around them.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 20:56 »
This year I have tried to prevent too much watering by using the 30 litre pots with my own water retaining compost at the bottom AND then sit them in trays I could water. I'm not sure the trays are working as there's water in them that isn't being taken up. Maybe there's gaps preventing capillary action. I don't know. Oh well, I thought, at least it will keep off the slugs and aid the humidity.

No trays for the smaller pots. Maybe should've done it the other way around.

I put grit on the top of the compost to retain moisture too. We aren't allowed to hose our plots but can fill water butts. I've placed one next to the greenhouse to aid watering. Really thought I'd got it all figured out this year.

I've watered today with a touch of fairy liquid as a wetting agent and the plants have picked up a lot

I'll certainly re-do the strings and water more frequently. I'll check for vine weevil too. Cheers.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 22:53 »
I have two 100's & 1000's toms in hanging baskets in the polytunnel which are wilting, despite plenty of water and feed. I've had to take them outside today to try and give them some respite from the 45c+ temps in the PT.

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 22:59 »
The tomatoes in my 8 x 10 greenhouse in the garden are doing a lot better than my much bigger polytunnel at the allotment.  I put it down to ventilation and shading.  The greenhouse has vents and automatic roof vents plus some roof blinds.  The polytunnel's ventilation is two small windows at one end and the lack of door at the other.  I water the same in both and all are grown in pots. 

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 10:06 »
My greenhouse would probably benefit from some shade netting. It does  get shaded by nearby tall trees in the morning and late afternoon.

One winter I threw some scaffold netting over the greenhouse in the hope of offering some protection from strong winds. It backfired as the wind caught it and broke a pane. Still, as no hurricanes are forecast I might risk it as shading.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 10:34 »
Worth remembering that tomato plants start to suffer at above 27C (81F), with the increasing likelihood that they will fail to set fruit the higher the temperature is above around 30C (86F)

With outdoor temperatures commonly reaching around 27C or more at the moment it's quite a challenge to keep GH and PT temperatures down - some form of additional shading is almost a necessity, especially if yours gets no natural shading at all.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 13:20 »
Shade will certainly help. plus maybe misting the leaves with some dilute foliar feed.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 16:40 »
... but not when it's sunny or could even a mist scorch the leaves?

I have shaded and watered. No time to look for vine weevil or re-string yet.

I do enjoy foliar feeding though. I use SB Plant Invigorator

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 08:53 »
... but not when it's sunny or could even a mist scorch the leaves?

I have shaded and watered. No time to look for vine weevil or re-string yet.

I do enjoy foliar feeding though. I use SB Plant Invigorator

Do the leaves pick up overnight after you have watered them? In this intense heat roots cannot keep up with leaf transpiration rates, damping down the floor regularly will help, as well standing a bucket of water in the greenhouse.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

lettice

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 09:27 »
Not really seeing any problems here, but then never do with tomatoes.
My greenhouse toms have reached their normal six foot height, looking healthy and now all setting toms.
The hanging basket ones are all setting lots of flowers.
Outside ones in 8, 10 and 12 inch pots all around the plot. All doing well and also setting flowers.
I water my toms around 6pm, just giving them a good soaking at soil level.
I then use homemade tomato feed once a week, when flowering starts.

I'm growing;
Hanging baskets: Garden Pearl, 100 and 1000s, Red Cherry and Tumbling Toms.
Greenhouse: Tigrella, Amateur, Nectar Rose
Outside: San Marzano, Marmande, Nectar Rose, Tigrella, Golden Sunrise and Gardeners's Delight.
Outsides: (courtesy of Pass The Parcel here) Jen's Tangerine, Chocolate Cherokee, Tres Cantas and Rio Grande

lettice

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 09:33 »

Do the leaves pick up overnight after you have watered them? In this intense heat roots cannot keep up with leaf transpiration rates, damping down the floor regularly will help, as well standing a bucket of water in the greenhouse.

I always water the floor of the greenhouse.
In this heat I've made sure during the day the door is open with a 3/4 cover of debris netting over the door, lets the air and bees in
Would advise to to get a thermometer in there, so you can check the temp during the day.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 11:31 »
They have picked up. I've been visiting later in the day so they still looked wilted when I got there to water them.

I have the trays with water in and several full watering cans in there waiting to be used. I did water the floor until I started putting slug pellets in there to combat the slugs. Now I've seen a frog in there I'm stopping the (organic) pellets anyway.

Anton

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 09:58 »
Is it Ok to spray the leaves with water. I spray mist beans,  leafbeat,... but I have always been a bit wary of tomatoes catching the blight as a result of water on their leaves?

Anton

xx
Cumcumber leaves wilting

Started by Top Cat on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 21:54
by fivespud364
xx
wilting cucumber leaves

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 18:47
by Totty
xx
wilting celeriac leaves

Started by earthing83 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 17:27
by earthing83
xx
Strawberry leaves wilting

Started by bennyjamboy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 19:53
by bennyjamboy

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 48 queries.