Er, we have moths!

• 3 Replies

Goosegirl

Er, we have moths!
« on: June 01, 2018, 16:30 »
I think I posted this problem last year but just giving you an update. I was doing my usual festive cleaning by getting all the furniture out to do a thorough cleaning of the skirting boards and to vacuum the edges of the carpets but found several bare patches in places where there's no light. I believe that last year there was a huge increase of the little b****rs and recently saw a prog where an TV presenter for an antiques show had the same problem. When the infestation chap came round to look at the bit of carpet that was left for him, he picked up one of the little wheat-husk-like jobbies, squeezed it, and this larva came out of the end. Yikes! They're just what I saw last year!  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: I'm going to have to do it all again plus I've just got some moth repellent hangers, and some balls to put where they've been seen. Tell you what, they're a bit difficult to hoover-u as they tend to stick on the carpet fibre so any remaining ones will be treated to a blunt hammer on their heads!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

Re: Er, we have moths!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 16:46 »
Carpet moth  :( 

They were here when I bought the place, I tried everything to get rid of them, including removing all the carpet and underlay in the worst affected rooms, they're still here now in places.  Best to get some of the spray shampoo stuff and wet the carpet properly just running the vacuum around isn't going to do much good.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 19:14 »
Oh no, are they eating into the carpet - hope not.  There are some good products available now for this problem.  So I hope you are able to get on top of it.  Good luck, Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 13:53 »
They're having a really good feast on my carpets as the tell-tale bare patches that show the carpet backing is a sure give-away. At least they're in areas where there's no light which is why I didn't notice it before, but the grubs can also get under anything that stands on it including table legs and bookcases. I nabbed one yesterday, squeezed it and lo - out came its head - UGH!  :ohmy: :wacko: >:( :mad: Trouble is they can also eat clothes, in fact anything that's made of natural fibres as they contain protein which is what they're after. I now have a new Dyson that can suck up a cat by its tail at 15 paces and as I did hoover up a lot of them before, I'm going to have another go then spray the carpet areas with Raid and put some of these mothballs down.

xx
UK Butterflys and Moths

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post July 14, 2023, 12:38
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 35 queries.