Poultry and Pets > The Hen House

poorly chicken, eye closed

(1/5) > >>

Toosje:
Goodmorning you all,
I hope you can support me with one of our hens. I would like to hear your experience with this beside the visits to the vet.
Since a week one of her eyes is slowly closing so last tuesday we went to the vet. He said the eye is not damaged but infected and gave us cortisone drops. She can only have this 3 days and after that she will lose her feathers.
Today is the last day (this morning) and actually the drops don't seem to help. Her eye is fully closed now and she is holding her head on her side, like it hurts.
As soon as the vet opens his practice I will phone him, but still I would like to know if some one recognizes the symptoms. Could it be her ear??
She has stopped moving about as from yesterday and ate very little. I am considering taking her in so I can monitor her more closely during the day and maybe see if I can give her water.

Thank you.

New shoot:
You could take her in and see if you can get her to drink, but I'm not sure what else you can do, other than wait to phone the vet Toosje.

She doesn't look happy, poor hen  :(

Toosje:
I have an appointment at 10.15 and have taken her in. Hopefully the vet has some other ideas about what could be wrong.

Toosje:
There is something wrong with her vestibular. This can be a bacteria through her ear, but also something in her brain.
We have medicine for 5 days now and left with hope she will recover.

For now: making sure she eats and drinks enough: because her world is up side down, she doesn't know how to do so her self.
I managed to give her something to drink, but have been unsuccessful with the forced feeding.

Maybe some one has some advise on this one?
How long can a chicken go without food? She hardly ate yesterday.

She is 2.7 kg now, which I find on the light side for such a large chicken, but the vet said is ok.

New shoot:
If you can get her to take water, that's something.  She probably feels so ill that she really doesn't want to eat, but as the medicine takes effect that may change.

Are you just trying with your regular chicken feed?  You could try porridge or a mash made with layers pellets and that might be easier for her to pick at or for you to get into her beak.  Just be careful not to try and put too much food into her beak.  If she inhales it, that isn't going to be good for her at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version