Chatting > Design and Construction

Polytunnel cover issue

(1/2) > >>

brownp:
I’m hoping someone might be able to offer some advice on tightening a polytunnel cover.
I recently constructed a new polytunnel.
It is a budget type from crocodile trading - 3.5 m x 4 m.
The frame seems quite strong and I reinforced it by concreting threaded bars into the floor , anchoring each corner to the floor. The frame seems quite sturdy.
The issue came when I put the cover on....it is one of the green, woven types - pre shaped etc.
When I put the frame in, I dug a trench around the perimeter and back filled it as I’d seen in youtube videos etc.
The problem is that the cover wasn’t deep enough to properly bury....I don't think that it has enough soil on it to keep the tension and I have found that the cover is loose and large pools of water are gathering after rain which will eventually ruin the cover.....
Does anyone have any suggestions of how to restore tension on the cover?
Thanks in advance..
Phil

Toosje:
If it is woven: could you maybe use pegs (the ones you would normally use for a tent) to tighten the net to te sides?

I mean the thin ones, not the ones shaped as a corner or the thick plastic ones. (The left one on the picture)

Maybe the quality doesn't agree with this method.. Could you then use larger stones to keep it further down? I think that won't keep as well and you will be adjusting through the season.

rowlandwells:
having put up a few tunnels in my time I to used to trench my poly sheeting in the ground drum tight  I bought one of those poly tunnels like yours for the allotment not put it up yet

so how to tighten your poly sheet well when i replace my polysheeting on my 20ft tunnel up the house im going to fit boards round the tunnel using U clips and P clips on the hoops then fix the polysheet to the boards then if i need to tighted the sheet all i do is undo the U/P clips and pull the sheeting down because the polysheet must be drum tight

hope this advise mite give you some idear how to overcome the problem good luck RW

Nikkithefoot:
I don't think that type of polytunnel is meant to be drum tight like a polytunnel from say First Tunnels

grinling:
Had a look at the website and it looks like it cannot be dug in unlike  a polytunnel  using polytunnel sheeting.
Anchorage on the site looks a lot like camping spikes and round discs. Paving slabs might help, but in very high wind damage might occur.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version