peas please

• 23 Replies

rowlandwells

peas please
« on: April 03, 2018, 16:59 »
 I'm thinking of sowing my  pea seed  in pots in the greenhouse is it about the rite time for pea sowings I ask this because last year I had a lovely lot of peas sown in pots planted them out in the allotment they looked ok then for some reason or another just stopped growing the varieties  was hurst greenshaft and alderman

but peas set at the same time carouby de maussane where perfect I got the blame from my O/H  that I never planted then deep enough  :unsure: so try again as one must I said  I'm going to ask the professionals for some advise

going to try a pea variety called jaguar as well as some of the above I still have left thought about sowing the pea seed in paper pots what's your view on that method  replies most welcome as I don't really want another ear bashing this year on growing peas

victoria park

Re: peas please
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 19:10 »
Direct in the ground is the best way. You'll have the biggest crop ever. Make sure you do it in April to avoid most of the pea moth issue later, and cover them against rodents from sowing day one with enviromesh or some such thing until they're shooting well enough, and then away you go. Net against birds if they are a problem where you are. Use a finer net if you've planted them late to avoid the moth as well. They'll sulk too easily in pots, paper or not. It suits parsnips, but not peas in my opinion.
Why risk the wrath ?  :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 19:26 by victoria park »

Christine

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 19:29 »
In guttering to get them started and then slid straight into prepared drills is the way it's done up here - stops the meeces and others eating them.  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 09:04 »
Can't be doing with faffing about. You need 15 peas per foot of row, for a half-decent row, that's a lot of pots. Here's my take:

DD's pea advice in Growing FAQs and other Information - Page 1 of 3
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 09:19 »
On our plots there are so many voles, mice and rats that direct sown peas = rodents' dinner!

I sow three to a module, in a nine module size half tray, (you coud use paper pots of course) and plant them out as a clump when about four inches tall. I even remove the remains of the pea seed from each stem or otherwise the little varmints snip through the stem to take these away, and that is the end of the plant. Clumps are planted  about our inches apart. I realise in Dave's book this equates to "faff" but it is the only way I can get a crop. Sowing is very quick, so is planting out. Not everyone needs to take off seed remains!!!

Depends how many you grow as to whether this is feasible. I have 36 modules  of maincrop peas for outside, sown two days ago, 18 of suagr snap, 12 of early peas and 12 of early mangetout. These early ones are already planted in the polytunnel and are just over a foot tall

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

lettice

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 12:47 »
Now is my time here to sow them straight in the ground. In fact I sowed mine a few weeks back and all are up and an inch or so high.
None of this gutter stuff.
I grow mine all around my patio, a six inch soiled area and along fences the same.
Sow them about every few inches diagonally sown to each other and help them climb with stakes and mesh that starts about six inches off ground level.
Never had any peats or problems with normal peas.
Grew mangetout Kennedy last year and were also great.
Do always try a few new varieties, had some from the pass the parcel on here to try for this year. But do save a load from last years crop, been doing that for years and they always grow without fail.
Keep picking regularly is the key and they crop for months.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 13:15 »
+1 for the DD method.

Been doing it now a number of years and always have great crops, my trench is prepared now, I will give them a soak overnight then sow straight in the trench. I do cover them for the first couple of weeks to protect from vermin, fury and featherd.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 14:56 »
Mine are also netted as soon as they are sown, with weighed down debris netting.

These are last year's peas and why I don't sow in pots. There are 5 x 36' rows here.
20170523_095923 (1328 x 747).jpg

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 15:24 »
I can see yours would take some predation anyway DD. Netting keep the pigeons off but vermin tunnel in. I a attempting to deter them with chilli powder this year... desperate measures!!

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 15:39 »
Mine are also netted as soon as they are sown, with weighed down debris netting.

These are last year's peas and why I don't sow in pots. There are 5 x 36' rows here.

How many lbs of peas do you reckon to harvest from that amount sown DD?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 15:57 »

How many lbs of peas do you reckon to harvest from that amount sown DD?

To be perfectly honest, I didn't weigh them (never do!), but they took up a lot of freezer space and we're still eating them.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 15:59 »
I can see yours would take some predation anyway DD.

One for the rook, one for the crow, one to rot and one to grow - oh and 6 for the voles!?

LILLILEAF

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 05:43 »
I sow mine in very deep modules that way i get very good roots,i had a bumper crop,so i will carry on the same way, get them off to a good start in the greenhouse,no mouse trouble i have a killer cat on patrol 24/7 :lol:

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 08:57 »
we to have an allotments cat Lillileaf  that was adopted by one of the plot holders when it was abandoned Felix has his own little shed and patrols the allotments his new owner feeds him every day and Felix loves being down the allotments no cars no dogs and he's very territorial with other cats

Felix parols the top half of the allotments and another cat parols the bottom and i often see the cats with a mouse in there mouth and  they never leave messages on anones allotments

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 19:02 »
“One for the rook, one for the crow, one to rot and one to grow”

Heard this from fellow plot neighbour who learnt this from his father. Said he sowed in figure of 5 using this saying with the addition and one it the middle for luck.

Sadly his father passed away last weekend.

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
peas

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2012, 08:43
by mumofstig
xx
Peas

Started by Alec Powell on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 01, 2006, 21:47
by Nugget

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 49 queries.